Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Onboard CO2; Poll about tank size.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Jul 29, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm looking to make my own CO2 setup. I'm wondering what size tank to get. I'm only going to use it for tires, no air tools. I have 33s on 15s. I usually wheel with my father (31s on 15s) and my brother-in-law (35s on 16s). We all usually only air down to about 18-20lbs, and we rarely do more than one trail in a weekend. So what size do you all think would be best?

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

10 & 15 lb tanks fit into a standard fire extinguisher holder while the 20 lb tank is larger in diameter and has fewer mounting options. I have a 15 lb tank and filled about 30 of my 35s from 10-40 psi.

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Im the first naked one! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW, then one of my 72lb scuba tanks should last alooong time.what do you guys use for the top of the tank?i don't think converting a scuba regulater would work cuz it.s low pressure for breathing? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 15 lb tank and filled about 30 of my 35s from 10-40 psi.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif That's a lot. I didn't realize even a 15 lb would last that long.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Yea co2 last along time, I made my own and it is out of a 10lb tank with a welding regulator but he regulator doesnt put out enough air to air up tires fast so I think I might look into getting another regulator and just switch them out when I want to weld. I made my own tank mount you can see it in my webshots folder thats in my sig.
    -Chris

7. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    WOW, then one of my 72lb scuba tanks should last alooong time.what do you guys use for the top of the tank?i don't think converting a scuba regulater would work cuz it.s low pressure for breathing? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

co2 is 20lb liquid
    diving air is just that, gas. less "air" in an air tank

20lb co2 is enough for me to fill 38x11 tires from 10~60psi twice

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

co2 is 20lb liquid
    diving air is just that, gas. less "air" in an air tank

20lb co2 is enough for me to fill 38x11 tires from 10~60psi twice

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your mistaken on that.. I have a 20lb tank. I probably filled my 36's from 6 pds to 35. 30 to 40 times and used air tolls in between.

9. mcinfantry

well i measured my tank from empty to full. it IS 20lbs. i let the air out my tires from 60 to 10. i aired them up. i did it again the next weekend. i have enough air to run air tools but not enough to fill the tires again. i guess i could be lying, and so could the scale???

10. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    well i measured my tank from empty to full. it IS 20lbs. i let the air out my tires from 60 to 10. i aired them up. i did it again the next weekend. i have enough air to run air tools but not enough to fill the tires again. i guess i could be lying, and so could the scale???

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say you where lying.. Just mistaken.. Maybe you have a leak on yours?? I have had mine for almost 3 years. I think I have had it filled up 4 times in that time..

11. mcinfantry

i agree with you,i dont know why it does that. only thing i can think of is because the air pressure is so high. anyone know how much volume it takes? is air pressure linear or exponential???
    i.e. 10-35psi is 25 psi increase. is 35psi-60psi (again 25psi) the same volume????

no leaks i can find....

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

14.7 psi is normal pressure (ouside). 30 psi is twice and 60 would be 4X. So filling all four of your 38's from 10 -> 60 is like filling 8 of them from 10 -> 35 or so. It takes a lot more air to create 60 psi than 30 psi. 30 psi is like 2 gallons of air in a 1 gal. tank, 60 psi is like 4 gal. of air in the same 1 gal. tank.

I hope that clears it up, nobody is lying, somebody is just driving on rock hard tires (or a really heavy truck) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    14.7 psi is normal pressure (ouside). 30 psi is twice and 60 would be 4X. So filling all four of your 38's from 10 -> 60 is like filling 8 of them from 10 -> 35 or so. It takes a lot more air to create 60 psi than 30 psi. 30 psi is like 2 gallons of air in a 1 gal. tank, 60 psi is like 4 gal. of air in the same 1 gal. tank.

I hope that clears it up, nobody is lying, somebody is just driving on rock hard tires (or a really heavy truck) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Sounds good to me... I always sucked at math... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif