Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Onboard welder-Part II

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FRIZZLEFRY, Oct 5, 2002.

1. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

After our Rubicon adventure last month and having to get Chaz'rig off the trail with frame and steering box dammage,I started thinking an onboard welder would be kinda cool /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Did some searchin and found alot of good info on Pirate.

Im using a 97 amp Ford externaly regulated alt without a regulator.I think I remember the application being for a Lincoln Mk7.To mount it I used the stock air pump mount bracket for the lower mount and a piece of .25x1x3"steel hooked to the bottom bolt of my Gm alt for the upper mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I get 101v at 2k RPM and 40v at idle.The next part of the project is making the control panel for the on/off switch,volt meter,throttle control,and welding cable connections.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Onboard welder

that is way cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you should do a wright up on how you do this so steve can post it as a teck artical /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I think you are on to something here. Even if the unit gives up under stress it won't wreck your charging system. Maybe an extra battery just for the welder"circuit"? If this works, you be da man.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Very cool! Just keep a close eye on the voltmeter for the truck itself. There isn't a lot of contact area left between the alternator belt and the pulley. It may start slipping when the alternator is trying to put out a lot of amps.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Cont. to inform us on the project. Also let us know where and how much you buy the parts. Great write-up. Let us know how it works after you complete it.....

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Out of curioisty - how many times have you been offroading when you really needed a welder?
    Granted, I am not the most extreme wheeler on this site by anyone's calculations. But I'm wondering just what it is you are welding on the trails? Sure, you could put a crack in the frame, but wouldn't it be better to just take it home and weld and brace it right rather than haphazardly welding it in the dirt?
    I think onboard welders are a cool idea, but I'm wondering how much use they are put to.
    -- Mike

7. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

A wise man once told me---

"better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it" or something like that---warn says it best---go prepared. How often do you really use a whinch, the high lift, or the jerry can full of gas? hardly ever, but its nice to know its there. not nessarily (sp?) for you but for the other peopleon the trail.--hey he might get free beer for fixing someone.

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

You can use one to reinforce a bent tie rod (been there), cracked frame, any other metal failures. I welded up a guys truck at pismo when he split a frmae rail after jumping a dune. They are pretty handy, I have been looking for a cheap alternative to the dual battery thing.
    In a pinch you can use 2 sets of jumper cables and 2 batteries jumpered together to weld with. I carry a few 7018 rods just in case. Remember your starter draws upwards of 200 amps when in use, you only need 125-150 to weld a frame rail. To lower the amperage when welding use longer cables. Just treat it like a 10% duty cycle welder and you'll keep from detonating your batteries /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. FRIZZLEFRY

Thanks for the input yall /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I actualy made some welds today with some temporary wiring hooked to the alt.I also hooked my meter to the system to record the voltage while I played.I think the alt might not be in good shape because at times the voltage would drop close to zero while under load.Also I did some more lookin around on the net and see that people using the same alt are gettin 150-200v at 2k RPM.Gonna hit the pick n pull this week for another.I can get one there for $10 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like Dan said,its better to have it and not need it.Say I spend $100 to get this goin,if I need it just once to get me or a buddy off the trail it will have more than paid for its self.

I will keep yall posted on the progress /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Have you looked at this site, Mobi-Arc

11. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

VERY NICE! WAY COOL! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I WANNA KNOW MORE!

12. FRIZZLEFRY

Yep,Ive seen those.It looks pretty cool but I would rather slap down my $500 on a hydro assist setup or a tube bender /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would love to go easy and get a Lincarc or a Premier but if I can get the same end result for a third of the $$ I will be happy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Is that just for that module? I really wanted to stay away from asking prices so I would refrain from having the "I'm broke" emotional breakdown in front of several hundred people. But I did get brave ask about the sandcasted aluminum "holds 4 more quarts" tranny pan,$170. Then there was the $27,000 tent trailer.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. FRIZZLEFRY

Yep,Im pretty sure thats only for the purdy box with the lights/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Frizz,

This kicks a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Gotta set me up with this... What'd'ya get the alt from?! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Marv

16. FRIZZLEFRY

Well I got all the rest of my parts and a control box built and everything all wired .

[​IMG]

I mounted the control box where I did because thats as far as I could get it with the cables I had layin around /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So how much did I spend?
    1.$7.50x2 for the female weld cable connectors.They are made by Miller.
    2.$10 for the 0-150vdc meter.Got it used.
    3.$1.50 At Radio Shack for the on light

What I didnt have to buy,
    1.The Ford alt.
    2.The 2,4ga cables.
    3.The control box.It used to be an OSHA approved foot pedal cover I got out of the trash .
    4.The on/off switch

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  17. FRIZZLEFRY

Hey Marv,the alt I have I think is for a Lincoln Mk7.You can get 90-100 amp alts from late 70s to mid 80s Mustangs,Capris,Cown Vic,Country Squrie,LTD,Grand Marq,Town Car,TBird,Cougar,Mk7,and maybe trucks and vans too.Not all of them are the high amp models and I dont know how ya can tell by lookin at them.I think the one I have is gonna die.When it does I think I gonna get one at Autozone with a lifetime waranty. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Looking nice.

BTW, I started to measure the shock mounts today. The passenger side is a little different so I'm gonna do a mock up using cardboard. I also found some 3/16th laying around, don't know if I will have enough for all four plates, but I'll go get more if need be. Once I get the mock up done, I'll drop it off with ya.

19. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Hey Frizz, when I started searching for a Ford alt, I found it somewhat difficult to determine if the newer alternators are externally regulated or not. I found/bought an alt off of a late 70s Ford van that I could definitely tell was external. It's an Auto Zone Duralast mod DL7078DP...guessing this is a 70 amp model?

But some of the newer ones?? Do you know of a sure way to tell if they are externally regulated? Does your alt have ONLY the "FLD" and "BAT" terminals?

Great job on the welding system. Hope to have mine on when I figure out how to make the brackets for the serpentine belt system.

20. FRIZZLEFRY

HIGHJACKER!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif