Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Once again...700R4 oil pump seal replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Aug 1, 2006.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Do I have to replace the input seal and is there anything that can make the oil pump seal go bad? I have replaced it about a year ago and it is leaking again. What do you guys think? Also, what are the torque specs on the oil pump cover bolts?

Thanks

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Are you putting any locktite on the seal when you put it in?? They are know to back out after awhile and the locktite will keep them in.

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I didn't replace the seal my self the last go around. So they may or may not have have put locktite on the bolts. They weren't backed out when I was looking under there, however I was able to tightne them a bit more, however, that didn't help the fact that it was still leaking.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Bushing in the pump could be worn, allowing a little wobble. Or the converter is screwed up a little.

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I guess I should mention what I have replaced:

torque converter
    oil pump seal
    tranny pan and gasket
    tv cable gasket
    input seal

This has all been in the past 1-1.5 yrs. I don't know if the bushing has been replaced or not, I just can't seem to understand how the oil pump seal is leaking again after such a short amount of time. It makes it look like the tranny gasket is leaking, so that was the last thing I replaced, NEW pan and gasket, this last week. I filled it back up with fluid and not even 20 minutes later there was a run of fluid going down the bellhousing cover. I was so furstrated that I didn't even get mad....

6. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

I have the same thing happening to me, an i had the tranny rebuilt about a year ago too.

7. 85mudblazin

I was talking about the actual seal. The seals are know to walk themselves out over time so a little locktite holds it in. This may or may not be your problem just something to look out for.

When my bushing went out it POORED fluid, there wasnt any dripping to it.

8. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the PM 85mudblazin. I also talked to my mechanic that only deals with GM stuff and I described the situation to him and what you guys had stated and he agreed about the bushing and the pump, etc. Do you have to pull the input seal to get the pump cover off and pump out?

Thanks

9. 85mudblazin

There is no pump cover, you will need to pull the whole pump out and pull out a few bolts that hold the pump together. Once those are out the pump will split into 2 halfs and its in there.
    Only thing is that the pumps are usually a pita to get out unless you have a pump puller, so be careful if you try to pry it out.

10. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

18 ft lbs. on the pump bolts. Use a criss cross pattern