Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Once again. new situation new module worked... for a minute

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKE, Mar 1, 2003.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Okay

Sorry again for making the new post, as the older once now seem irrevalent. for those that have not been keeping up I will give some history. It started with a carb swap This thread And moved on to a no spark issue.

As of now I have ran down the power wires and it appears that I am getting power to the dist. I have replaced the coil, cap, and rotor. I also took pureinsanities advice in the previous thread and spliced the two wires mentioned in that thread.

When cranking there dosnt apear to be a spark still.

*********** I replaced the module today, put it back together turned the key and WHAM! it started right up. It started faster than ever before. I let it run for a moment, and it idled a little rough and vary fast. I whent to adjest the timing a bit to get it closer to where it should be. hop back down to grab my hand held tach to adjust the idle speed then it dies. Once again I can not start it. It apears there is no spark once again. Could I have fried the module that soon? Could crossing the wires to the computer have done it. Any imput before I head down a grab another module? It sounded so beautifull for the moment. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. rchandler

rchandler Registered Member

Re: Once again. Sorry for the new post, but new situation

sounds like a bad module in the distrbitor and you probably couldnt see the small amount of gas being sucked into the motor while cranking

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Pickup Coil or Module would be my next looks. Take your cap off and you might be able to test if you are getting current to your module. If you are not getting current to the module then it is your Pickup Coil. You have to remove the distributor and take the thing apart to get a new one on. If you do get power to the module then it is probably the module that is bad. If it is the module make sure to put some dielectric grease under it when you replace if otherwise you will fry the new module.

As for the carb, you shouldn't see gas spirting when you crank it. you have to move the throttle linkage to get gas to come out. If gas comes out when you move the linkage then it is ok.

4. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Well I went to the store and got a new module, i didnt bother testing. However I received the wrong one. I guess I will have to wait untill tomorrow. Thanks guys

5. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

new module worked but only for a minute. see top

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Did you use any dielectric grease on the underside of the module wear it is the flat metal surface. If not, yes, you might have burned out the module. They heat up and they fry without the grease.

7. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

yes I did grease it up w/dielectric goop.

i got it started again and let it run for a good while. I finished adjusting stuff. I took it for a spin, and it had no power at high rpm at all. I made a quick timing adjustment and had the same problem. Almost compleatly around the block it starts dieing again. I had to push it a ways back home /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and couldnt get it started again. It almost sounds flooded. As it was dieing there was a bit of white smoke comming out the tail pipes that lasted for a while. I dunno. i am about to call in the reinforcements. (professional mechanics)

8. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

This sounds silly, but try replacing that silly-a$$ed ground strap that grounds the coil. That was my problem /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Yea, and don't forget about the stupid-a$$ed carbon fiber button! MIne broke twice so replaced it with a $10 MSD brass/copper unit /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

what carbon button?

and i did get a new ground thing

11. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

it's the black thingy w/a spring that goes under the coil in the cap and touches the rotor. Regarding the ground strap, in one cap I put on, the factory ground didn't even touch the coil! I put in an MSD coil, and it came w/a cool ground strap: they solderd a piece of wire to the strap, which bolted to the coil.

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

pick up coil in the dist is probably burning up the modules