Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One Axle at a Time--can it be done?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Mar 26, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Working for a living and getting no raise in pay to cover my Gas expenses traveling around to get parts and supplies for one of the oldest Yacht Clubs on the East Coast, I need to do my axle upgrades one at a time, one weekend at a time. So I want to do the rear First since thats sounds like its ready to blow any day now-- the clinking is getting more profound now.
    Can I have a 12 or 14 bolt rear with the stock 10 bolt still up front and srive around like that for a while or is it necessary to do the axle swaps relativly close together/ within a few weeks or sooner????

Axle swap Experts please advise me?
    Still thinking about the GM van thing alot-- like it better than searching the bone yards--

Dv8

2. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Adendum to my post above...

What I'm asking is-- will it kill my transmission that I just had rebuilt-- to have 4.11 gears in the rear and either a 12 or a 14 s/f rear and the stock 10 bolts with stock gears up front-- with 33" meats all-around?

I'm not looking forward to another rebuild on the 700-r4...
    Dv8

3. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't use 4wd till I was able to have both ends done.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio</font color=green>
    [​IMG]

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Agreed stay in rear wheel drive and you can tool around forever before you do the front! And I suppose as long as you were in snow or Ice or deep mud 4wd wouldn't hurt to much either, other than some handling probs...WK

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

As others have said it is fine to do one at a time. Just to make sure you don't shift it into four wheel drive ya can take out the front drive shaft. I've done this while waiting for the new gears up front and try to get more than 10 mpg on the freeway..
    Good luck.....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Um yeah DO NOT put it in 4 wheel drive. Or you will here a loud tearing and clinking noise as your transfer case grenades. It was 2 years before I got my front done. I had to put a sign on the shifter that said do not use.

7. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

all righty then!

Thanks for the tech info-- Here I thought you could run separate sets of gears while four whelling--

D'oh!

no, i won't do that...

Was curious why mags say rigs have one set of gears in the rear and another set /ratio up front and they run fine?/ what gives?

-Dv8

**Keep yer stick on the ice, we're all in this together!**

8. Boggin' Blazer

Boggin' Blazer 1/2 ton status

That is mostly for mud racing. In that you want the front to spin faster to help keep it up.
    David

[​IMG]Drive it like you<font color=red>Stole</font color=red>it!!![​IMG]

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah what they said just as long as you don't have a full time read NP203 transfer case. If you do, you're always in four wheel drive and the one at a time thing just won't work. Unless you spend 100 bones and convert to part time.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress