Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One bad ass Art Carr gate shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Oct 20, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Don't sweat it to hard...AIGHT!

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Oooowww, rear cable exit and a skull. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How much? Did ya get a deal on it? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i like the sheetmetal mount. you gonna leave it like that or are you gonna strengthen that up some?

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oooowww, rear cable exit and a skull. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How much? Did ya get a deal on it? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you call $285 a deal. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i like the sheetmetal mount. you gonna leave it like that or are you gonna strengthen that up some?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a piece of 1/8" stainless steel. Have you ever tried to bend stainless steel before Matt, it is pretty rigid stuff, no need for any more support...plus it is only temporary until the cage goes in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Alright...I'll play the ignorant one; what's cool about those? I guess I don't get the whole floor shifter thing. What's better about them?

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Limited knowledge, but I beleive the gate helps prevent an accidently shift into another gear.

Plus with this shifter, kind of odd seeing it mounted like this, but it is used real heavily in desert racers and you will find it stationed on the right side of the driver, either right beside them or a little bit forward and it's a lot easier shifting with the shifter in that position. The shifter is on a console that is about chest high, I've even seen them almost neck high, right in about the same area as the radio. A lot better than a column shift.

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Also in a really flexy situation, the stock column shifting setup can bind up, while a cable system doesn't. IIRC, yuint is probably running a tranny with a reverse manual valve body, meaning that he basically has a manual auto-matic tranny...if that makes any sense... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also in a really flexy situation, the stock column shifting setup can bind up, while a cable system doesn't. IIRC, yuint is probably running a tranny with a reverse manual valve body, meaning that he basically has a manual auto-matic tranny...if that makes any sense... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got your back dude..............

A manual valve body means the tranny now has to be shifted manually. The reverse manual valve body means that the shift pattern is now P-R-1-2-3..............

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    meaning that he basically has a manual auto-matic tranny..

[/ QUOTE ] only way to go auto I think, if that makes sense. if I ever build a buggy it will have probably a th350 with manual valve body.

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Thanks Bubba /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW, when's the Aggie and OU game, or should I say O who? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sweet! Looks almost identical to the mount I built for my B&M. I love my raised-n-kicked mount, but I HATE that B&M. I think it will be replaced by an Art-Car when I recover from my current budget over runs.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sweet shifter. Id love to have one like that, cable operated and all. Be handy to mount nice and high, since I cant reach chit on the floor with the 5-point harness on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

15. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

The best shifter I've ever had...
    you can pour sand and dirt and beer and soda all over it and it will shift with ease. I love mine. I don't know about you all but getting rid of my stock column shifter and steering column got rid of a lot of binding and moving parts that fail ( I once was stuck with a broken rack gear in my steering column without tools to remove it and fix it.

16. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...I don't know about you all but getting rid of my stock column shifter and steering column got rid of a lot of binding and moving parts that fail ( I once was stuck with a broken rack gear in my steering column without tools to remove it and fix it...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was trying to say. On a trip once one of my friends lost the kotter pin in the linkage on his tranny and he couldn't stay out of Drive, so we found a paper clip in a gas station parking lot and rigged it in there and got to the nearest parts store.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    IIRC, yuint is probably running a tranny with a reverse manual valve body, meaning that he basically has a manual auto-matic tranny...if that makes any sense... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Add a manual lockup torque converter to that with some sort of lock/unlock switch for it on the shift knob and you'd have the only flavor auto tranny I'd ever run.

18. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

so what happens at the linkage to the tranny? im having a hard time imagining how a cable can move the lever around. i can see how it could pull it, but how does it push it back? pic maybe? thanks

very sexy BTW

19. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    so what happens at the linkage to the tranny? im having a hard time imagining how a cable can move the lever around. i can see how it could pull it, but how does it push it back? pic maybe? thanks

very sexy BTW

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a push/pull cable, similar to the cables on our emergency brakes(but bigger). The cable inside the conduit isn't flimsy like thinner cable so it's able to push the linkage back.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ahh you guys need to do like my dad on his circle track street stock. Cut a flap in the floor, take a LONG rod with threading on the end and run it through the flap right to the linkage. Then add an SM465 shifter knob(K5 donated) to the end and go for a drive. Not fun to shift but it gets the job done.