Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One case of death wobble solved.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Ten months after the install of our D60, DW reared its ugly head. It only occured when slowing down, but was extremely annoying and dangerous on a wet street.

Before throwing money at trying to solve the problem, I made an attempt to figure out what caused it to start in the first place. After reading all the posts on this board and everything I could find on POR, I decided to start with the obvious first. I recently had the tires rotated, but did not balance them, so I had to find someone that could balance the 37's. Got rid of the original stick-on weights and had them balanced with external weights.

SUCCESS, DW is gone. I think I got lucky. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

HA! Lucky isn't what I would call it... Maybe blessed?!!! Sun has to shine on every dog's @ss sometime, right? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif J/K

My DW is SO bad right now, I've parked the rig. Its not driveable at all! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif The DW would start even if I was driving on a sheet of glass... no bumps needed, it just starts up all by itself anytime beyond 15-20mph. I'm pretty sure my only cure is a combination of new frame-side shackle bushings (my ORD's are destroyed), and installing hydro-assist. I really need to call up WTO and get an ballpark cost... that needs to be fixed!

-Dan

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I will admit that luck beats skill any day of the week. We are about to install x-over steering and are also going to send the steering box to Matt at WTOR and have it re-built and convert it to 2WD and add the fittings for the Ram, but not install the ram just yet.

4. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I wish i was that lucky with my case of death wobble. I have eliminated the following in my case:
    1. This is the third set of tires ive had and it still does it 35's, 38's, and new 40's
    2. Front springs. Did it with stock and 6" springs
    3. Front axle. The 10 bolt and now the dana 60
    4. Steering box, pump, lines and cross over steering and no change.
    5. Front end alignment. 4 degree shims now with the 60 and tried a multitude of toe settings. Toe did change at what speed the DW happened.
    The only things ive found to help are:
    A. Tire pressure. The lower the better with my death wobble but you can only go so low with 16.5" wheels. This changed where the DW happened. It moved from 30 to about 65 MPH going from 20 to 12 PSI in the tires.
    B. Steering stablizers. I had three on the 10 bolt just so i could keep it on the road.

I think my next step will be to try a frame brace for the steering box and a stablizer on the drag link instead of on the tie rod and see what happens.

Brian
    82 Burb
    40" TSL's, Dana 60, 14 bolt*rear disc*, SM465/NP205

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Sounds very similar to my problem. I'm running 44" Mud Countrys on 14" wide Welds. Had horrible DW around 35 MPH. Changed my tie rod and installed dual stabilizers and that eliminated about 80% of it. Still does it now and again, especially when the tires are filled up (24-26 PSI). My front tires have slow leaks in them, so I can tell when they're low due to the lack of DW!! HA HA!! Anyways, my next step is to purchase a new drag link for the crossover steering, as my link end (tie-rod end) is worn out and is not replaceable (it is a cut down tie-rod). If I were you, I'd check my tie-rod ends and see if they're still snug. Oh well, good luck with your DW. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

BurbBoy, have you been running the same rims the with all the different tires? If yes check them for both up and down runout and side to side runout. Did you ever have the tires balanced and how was the DW right after the balance job?

7. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Yes i have been running the same wheels on all tires. Only one set was ever balanced and no change in DW. I never checked the wheels for run our or anything but that would probably be a good idea.

I have however damn near eliminated my DW. I have put one new steering stabilizer from my drag link to the frame. And new front shocks. DW tries to start but it never cycles more then once. I might try and take them back off and rig a video camera up to see what is actually moving around to cause DW. I will post the video when i finnally get it done.

Brian
    82 Burb 40" TSL's, D60/14 bolt *rear disc**welded*, SM465/NP205

8. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

A video would be cool, just don't trash your camera. It'll probably just show everything shaking like hell, pretty neat to see though. Now get a strobe and/or super slow motion, that would be awesome!

I'm curious to hear how much rim run-out you have, especially side to side or lateral run-out. Bet most of the severe DW cases have lots of lateral run-out and/or real bad balance problems. I checked my run-out with a jack stand and some feeler gages, crude but it gave me some idea of how much there was.

I talked to a lot of people about DW ( old post ) and looks like tire / rim balance and run-out are the leading causes. The Chapter 14 link has good information on what to check for when problems occur. You said you've had DW with 3 sets of tires and 2 different axles, etc. The rims are a common factor in each case. I'd check them first. Then do as much as practical to balance and fix any run out problems with the rims/tires. Look for any mechanical problems. Check alignment settings. And last, find a band-aid to cover up or control any wobble thats left before it can get out of hand (like you did with the steering stabilizer).

Its a shame to see a lot of people struggle with this problem, think up all sorts of exotic reasons for it and never address the tire/wheel issues. How can you blame other components until you have addressed the two big, heavy rotating objects trying to hop up and down and wobble like crazy?

Oh well kinda rambling, good luck with your DW.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One more thing I just learned about a couple of weeks ago called truing you tires.
    There is a guy, I think it was in Texas, that shaves of some of the tread to make it round (most 38" and up Tires aren't true) and that eliminates the up and down jumping of the tire, ten he balances them.
    So first I would check like Jimmy88 said the rims, which was common in all your trials, then if they turn out to be true, then find out if you can do this truig of the tire.
    IceMan