Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One door closes, another door opens... (long story)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Dec 23, 2003.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well, last Thursday was my last flight in a Marine Corps helicopter. Went out to the Warren Grove range in NJ and threw about 3000 rounds of .50cal downrange, day and night. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It was cool to end my USMC flying career with a bang like that (literally).
    Today I start my terminal leave and bring my Marine Corps career to a close. The writing is on the wall; I've pissed off too many people in the past 11 years to get promoted again, and they wouldn't re-enlist me again (Active or Reserve) /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.
    My original plan was to finish out this mobilization (I was recalled to active duty in Jan '02 from the Reserve and was away from home for nearly 19 months), get out of the Corps and go back to my civilian job for a while, then join the Air Force Reserve and become a KC-10 boom operator. Had already made contact with the AF, they were all about it; the wife was happy with that course of action, and I was really looking forward to living the AFRes lifestyle. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BUT.....

Last Monday afternoon, a friend of mine at the squadron who's getting out about the same time told me about the job he just accepted. He tells me ********** is looking for experienced helicopter mechanics to **************. They'll send you to school to learn the new aircraft. So I update my resume Monday night, and email it to the company rep Tuesday morning around 10AM or so. At 11:30, I get a call from the company rep, asking me if I can come in for an interview ASAP. I make the appointment for 2:30 and head home to clean up and get changed.
    I get into the interview, and the Maintenance Director is almost drooling over my resume. He makes it plain to see (even to my dumb blind ass) that I'm the guy he wants to run this new show /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. So I walk out of the interview feeling pretty confident that I've got a better-paying job than what I would have been going back to, at a facility that's 30 miles closer to my house.
    Wednesday morning comes along and I get a phone call around 10:00 from the personnel director at *******. She tells me that I'm one of three people they're considering for a supervisor position, and she'll call me back tomorrow to let me know whether they'll be offering me a "line technician" position or the "working supervisor" position. She SPECIFICALLY STATES that I DO, in fact, have a job at *********, it's just a matter of which job.
    Thursday morning she tells me the last guy to be interviewed rescheduled, and she'll let me know on Friday.
    Friday at 2PM she calls me and formally offers me the working supervisor position, giving me MORE MONEY THAN I HAD ASKED FOR!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    And here's the best part: The school I mentioned earlier? It's in ITALY! So my wife and I are getting an all-expenses-paid trip to northern Italy for about NINE MONTHS!!! We leave at the end of January, which is a pretty short fuse. But for an opportunity of this magnitude, it's worth it!
    All the guys I'll be supervising are former (and soon-to-be former) Marines who've worked for me in some capacity before, so I know them and their capabilities (and tricks...)

Talk about changes of plans... Monday I was going back to my old job and the AFRes. By Friday we're going to Italy for 9 months for FREE.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

good for you, sounds like it was a wise career move

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Nice man, enjoy the trip...Getting the job you always want is really cool!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Congrats!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Man Marines have all the luck!

Congratulations, sound like the opportunity of a lifetime. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dang Ken...that is awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's so refreshing to hear good news from someone lately, especially with so many having trouble finding work at all. Have fun in Italy!!

Rene

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Damn man, a major congrats are in order /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And I agree with Rene, about time someone had some good luck finding a job. Best of luck to you in your new endevour /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Awesome news!!!

At this point, I'd be glad to find a decent paying job anywhere! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone! When I talked to my CO yesterday, he asked me if we'd be "tagging" all the aircraft we build. My response? "Of course, sir! Isn't that what Marines do to aircraft that aren't theirs?"

We'll be building the ***************. It's basically the same airframe as an **********, but with less avionics gear, single vs. dual-engine, and slightly different dynamic components.

So, the K5 gets parked for another year... It'll be in the garage this time though. Too much rust to let it sit outside again.
    I'll be sure to post some pics somewhere online so y'all can see the sights with us. Hmmmm... are the CK5 members galleries working now?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  10. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Congrats dude /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

It's all about the timing I guess /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Congrats. Going straight to pasta heaven /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

AWESOME!!!!

well just think what the K5 will be like with all the extra dough flyin around /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

good job and good luck bud!

13. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Congrats, sounds like a sweet deal. Do they need any I-AVI techs?

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Mike, you've got PM.

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Semper Fi
    im PCS'n back to pendleton. i have a little less than 3 years left. i am sitting on just under 6 years now. this will be my last contract unless things back at the unit i am returning to is better than it was.
    hope you do well at the new place. personaly i HATE working on helicopters, and will lat move, or get out next enlistment.
    Grant