Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One last dumb question I PROMISE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SS66, Jun 5, 2005.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Ok guys Ive decided to just go with the grinder. Here is the grinder I plan on getting. Problem is it says the spindle is 5/8 ( as are many of them that I have found ) But I cant locate 5/8 wheels. Are these 5/8 grinders able to use discs with a 7/8 hole safely and securely? THANKS ONCE AGAIN CK5 :grin:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The spindle is 5/8", but there is a lower collar the 7/8" disc is centered on, then the nut that also has a slight collar on it.

Rene

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Hey rusty, I remember chatting with you a few times last year. Thanks for the reply. I'll take that as a yes and head on over to Kmart.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No biggie...

The 5/8x11 spindle is the most common thread--most of the discs with a threaded insert are 5/8 x 11 thread..the discs with only a hole 7/8" in diameter need a washer/adapter thing that comes with the grinder,along with the 5/8x11 "nut" that holds everything on...(should be included with the grinder)...

My cheap dime store grinder came with a 14mm spindle,only Bosch uses that size on a few of its models--made buying any wire wheels and other threaded accessories a pain in the butt!..it works fine with the discs with the 7/8 hole though,using the adapter dewhickey it comes with..

I'd buy a GOOD brand name one my next time--no more flea market crap!...now that I know how useful they are,and dont want to be without one,I'd spend a little more $$ and get a Miquita,Dewalt,or Milwaukee --I've had Black and Decker drills and sabre saws--they are OK,but not the highest quality...my 1/2 inch Black and Decker drill gets too hot to hold after drilling a few 1/2" holes--but I havent killed it yet either!.(and it cost 25 bucks! :blush: ). :crazy: