Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One last trouble shooting try.....and that's it

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 18, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I know most of you are sick of these posts. There are no nearby ck5ers. If I can get the burb to at least run long enough to idle, I'm going to pull the valve covers and see if I see any loose or funky rocker arms. It might be a simple fix somewhere in the valve train. What valve cover gaskets are good to use with stock steel covers? Should I use any RVT on them too? How tight do I put the covers back in order to not pinch the gaskets?

If I can't figure it out by pulling the valve covers and having a look, I'm going to use my $300 birthday money to call up a tow truck, have her hauled to a mechanic, and cross my fingers that he doesn't try to stick it to me for as much as a gm crate motor would cost :eek1:
    Unless somebody that lives near middle Georgia sees this and wants to come try to help, then I'm going to pull the covers and if I can't tell anything, off to the mechanic she goes.. Now if only I can find a reputable mechanic that will not charge me an exortionate price.
    thanks,
    James

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I only use a light/thin coat of RTV on the valve cover side, just to basically hold the gasket in place, the head has a slightly rough surface, so it will basically grip that side of the gasket.

Everytime i used to RTV both sides, they would leak, or squish out of their seating position.

I usually use the felpro brand gaskets.

3. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Bingo thats what i used (Cork) and i didnt use any sealant just tighten the screw down hand tight then use a ratchet to snug them.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So what is the problem you're having? Also a cork gasket is much better than the rubber and i only use a few drops of silicone to hold the gasket in place on the valve cover while i install it.