Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ONE MAN brake bleeding...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5thatShmobs, Mar 27, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

For those of you that havent checked these out... These are "Speed Bleeders" by a company called Russell Performance. You loosen one (or all if you want) of the bleeders about a 1/4 to a 1/2 of a turn and jump in the truck and starting simply pumping the brake pedal! The spring loaded ball (see picture) keeps anything from entering the system, but allows you to expel all air from the system without loosening and tightening between pumps. Basically, you can bleed your own brakes. Cool stuff... Im ordering mine tommorow (Only about 20 bucks for four of these babies). For those of you who have these, I need to know what size bleeders to get for a 1 ton setup. (14B FF and D60)

[​IMG]

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I need to get me some of those. The last 3 trucks I bled the brakes on I had to do myself since no one is ever around at the right time.

Nothing like the old one person and several blocks of wood approach to one man brake bleeding, but I think I'd prefer those speed bleeders. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

They absolutely ROCK.

I have them on mine. You can also get them at NAPA (in their packaging for about $12/pair) or I think you can get them in the "Help" line (the red boxes) now also, I think about $8/pair.

Take your bleeders to the store and see which ones match up.

I have them on my D60 front and my caddy rear calipers... couldn't tell you which ones without digging through a mountain of paperwork.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I always wanted to try those, I have a brake job coming up and I think I will invest in a set.

John /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That seems like a good idea, but I'm a little confused. Is it a solution without a problem?

I do brake bleeding by myself all the time. The whole brake system is kind of a one-way thing when a bleeder is open. I just put a little fluid in a jar, hook up some plastic tubing from the bleeder into the jar and pump away on the brake pedal. Only a little fluid ever goes back in. The master cylinder keeps drawing new fluid from the resevoir. Once you've bled all the way through, new fluid is coming out of the bleeder, so if a little gets sucked back, it's no big deal. You just have to make sure that the bleeder is open enough to let fluid out, but closed enough that no air can go through the threads.

So how much help is a check-valve bleeder screw?

6. K5thatShmobs

For me peace of mind is important, and I wouldnt feel comfortable bleeding brakes like you described. Seems like letting off the pedal when pumping would draw fluid (and air) back into the system just as easily as it came out. Besides, how would you really know if ALL the air was purged from the lines unless you were down on the ground looking at the bleeders to make sure? I really like the idea of the one-way valve on the speed bleeders... its a simple, sure way of bleeding your own brakes.

7. Blue85

I've always been able to watch the process on at least a couple of wheels while bleeding. Yes, some fluid does go backwards, but not much. It is also easy to check for air leaks. If the air is leaking, it will get sucked into the outgoing fluid just as much as it can get sucked into the caliper. You just have to stop between pumps and look at the plastic tubing (this is why you use clear tubing). If there are bubbles in it, start over because there was a leak. It seems to be easier for the MC to draw in fresh than to suck the old back (with the bleeder open). Normally, there is back pressure from the wheel cylinders/calipers to push the fluid back.

Maybe it doesn't work this well for everyone, but I've done probably a dozen different vehicles this way, all with good results. It would be easier to get it working right with the check valve bleeders, I admit, but it's for convenience, not necessity.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a certified mechanic and if you bleed your brakes this way and do it wrong, I am in no way at fault.

8. Blue85

One more thing: I have had help before and done the method where you loosen the bleeder when the other person pumps the pedal and then tighten it before they let the pedal back up. It is really easy to get leaks that way since you are always moving the bleeder srews. Plus it takes a lot longer.

I have never tried this, but is should also help to remove the bleeder temporarily and put some teflon tape in the threads.

9. K5thatShmobs

Well said, that its for convenience and not necessity. However, for 20 bucks, thats one convenience thats pretty damn worth it!

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Blue 85 I am with you on this...i have bled brakes about 25 times and have help help maybe 5 of them...never had a problem. Unless there is air alreeady in the lines its pretty easy, and works well