Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One more anoying problem...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Apr 16, 2000.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Ok i have one more anoying problem that i never have been able to fix....i always have a drip of tranny oil off the front yoke goin into the transfer case...it had stopped for awhile but is just started leakin again a few days ago....i have replaced the seal about 5 times and makes no differance...replaced the yoke (thinkin it might be worn out) but that dident help either....i like to keep my drive way oil free (it would be nice to keep it all in the truck)
    if anyone has any ideas for a fix would be lots of help......oh yea one more thing....update to my drive shaft noise problem...i pulled it off again and took it down to have it balanced again and they said it was dead on...and its still makin noise....to me its kinda soundin like my rear end is takin a dump again (damn 10 bolts)..when i am goin about 65 down hill with my foot off the gas it makes what sounds like a grinding noise.....i just rebuilt the rear end about a year ago so i am hopin it not that again...well anyway thanks
    Chaz

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I don't know what to say about the leak. I had the same leak on mine and fixed it w/a new seal. I also cleaned up the seal contact surface on the yoke. ??
    About the noise. Sounds like when my gears went out on my rear end. It would do it at about 35-40mph when coasting. Kinda low grinding, grumbling sound. Good luck with it all.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

3. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

My 12 bolt would make aclunking noise when you left off the gas and have a constant wine, right up until the point she blew a hole through the diff cover doing 65 on the freeway.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

4. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

Is your seal a rubber lip seal or a carbon type? FYI, if it is the carbon type mechanical seal, ensure you don't touch the carbon. For some reason the oil from your skin will cause the sealing surface to deteriorate and leak.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

its a rubber seal

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

6. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

i have the same grinding sound when i let off the gas also. I just had the rear end done and still does it. I am working on finding out what the sound is coming from. I think it may be the transfer case. Let me know what you find out about the noise.

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

In my experience, those slip yoke t-case outputs always leak a little. If you really want to fix that leak, get the slip yoke eliminator kit, and have your driveshaft rebuilt with a slip joint in the shaft. Expensive, but a much better set-up, especially if your truck is lifted.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

8. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Tim -Please explain that again? Do you have a picture of this or where could I see that kit? Call me stupid - I had a loooooong day. Sorry buddy.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

9. buttman

buttman Registered Member

Chaz which blazer is yours is your name Bert or Cory

10. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

You might want to grab the slipyolk were it goes into your t-case and see if it will move up and down or side to side. If it does then you have a bad bushing in your t-case. There is a bushing inside that keeps your driveshaft centered. If it is bad then this may be the reason for your leak AND the noise. If the driveshaft is nice and tight then your guess is as good as mine with all the other stuff you've done. Oh, and another thing. when you check for looseness, set the emergency brake, ckock the tires and put it in neutral. If it is in park with the weight of truck on driveshaft you might not notice any slop. Not sure if this is a do-it-yourself type repair. Could probably pull tailshaft and have shop press out old in new bushing. Hope this helps.

Tuck

11. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

As for the noise i was also hearing from the transfer case, i was told today that it might be a bearing that is in the transfer case.