Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One more header question. Locktight and header bolts? Good or bad idea?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jan 9, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have one more header question. Is it ok to put lock tight on header bolts or is it a bad idea or will it not work? If I should do it should I use blue or red? Any input is appriciated. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Very much bad idea - I did this on a Ford 302 and nearly never got the bolts out when gasket replacement rolled around. Stage 8's are the best, but just regular bolts and regular torquing works just as well.

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

Locktight is a bad idea if you ever wantto service the heads, or change them. The heat that the exhaust make is enough to cause the bolt to "rust". It is not the same type rust that moisture causes. The massive heat and increase oxygen content creates it own kind of lock. I had to pull my manifolds on a 86 that had never been taken off, and they were an extreme pain to get off. If you put locktight on the bolts it will be even worse. If your set on the idea use the blue becaue you have to heat the red stuff up to 500 degrees to get it off, that or a long cheater bar, and hopefully the bolt doesn't brake.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Stage 8 header bolts are cool. I had them on my 80 C20.
    The headers on my 463 in the 73 have never been messed with in 4 years. No special locks or any other fancy stuff.
    just plain ol MR. Gasget header gasgets. Sme thing on the K5.
    I replaced the left header almost 2 years ago and have never done a thing to it.
    I just did a tune up and threw a wrench on em and they were still tight.
    Dynomax headers on em both.
    The 80 had Blackjacks and I could not keep a Gasget for over 2 months I bought some stage 8 bolts and that ended that problem.
    Cutting the flange between the bolt holes will help also, so I have heard. I have never done it though.
    Loc-tite... Dear God NO, I Never-Seez the snot out of them.
    Collector gasgets now that is another story.
    I use Mr. Gasget copper gasgets and have not had a failure yet.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

If you ever want to pull them apart again don't use Loc-tite. Get a good gasket and re-torque them on a regular basis. I went to the copper gaskets. A bit more on the price side, but they seem to hold up better. Red Loc-tite requires heat to break it loose, or a really BMF wrench. Blue on threads for assembly and to disassemble, green for placing on threads after assembly (penetrates into the thread region as long as there is gravity to help it along).

6. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

i second POWERMAD

"well,are you gonna pull them pistols,or whistle dixie!?"