Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One more hint to NEWBIES(and others too)-----Could be considered a rant

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

GUYS AND GIRLS..............

When someone helps you out with something, please try to have the decency to acknowledge it. I have left about a dozen somewhat detailed answers to some newer users in the last couple of months that I never heard back from. I don't help people out just to get a "thank you", but sometimes it's nice to hear it.

Maybe I'm out of line, but when one of the Brotherhood gives me a hand, I ALWAYS get back to them so they know that their time wasn't wasted......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

You're not out of line. It takes time and effort to give detailed answers to questions, and when there is no further acknowledgment of any kind, it's just plain rude.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I agree, if not a thanks just come back and tell us how things worked out. There's been a few things I've seen here that I haven't had to fix on my rig yet or advice I've given but haven't heard the end result. Keep us informed!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I agree to a point. I've backed out- from tring to answer questions with lengthy replies, just to see it 4 or 5 pages back the next day and the same question gets posted again in the same day or two. From a time invested stand point (from the replier's point of view), it just dosn't pan-out.
    I take the lack of respons in eathier 2 ways.
    1- Someone thinks I'm full of it, or doesn't have the patiance to read it, or I didn't make my point clear enuff. (bad)
    2- It answered the question, and there is no need to replie.(good)

I do alott of reading, research, checking things out, and genneral chit-chat about the auto-biz and anything related to it and try to bring that to the boards- just to see it kicked back 3 pages, it kinda getts annoying after awhile.

Really not a big deal, I'll just quit wasting my time.

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC (4" X 3.48") with 2" intake-valve at 6,000 RPMs:
    1- The piston reaches a maximum speed of 60 MPH

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

On the other hand, I can think of a few questions I asked , that someone else did some rearch on, posted a link, or what-ever. I read it, checked it out and found it helpfull, but didn't feel a "Thank-you" was needed. My question was answered in full, and there was no need to continue the post.

A bunch of "Thank-yous" could be just as annoying to the readers.

So, maybe, figure if the post is lost and shuffled to the back- consider it to be a good replie and a "thank-you" to be implied. I guess.

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC (4" X 3.48") with 2" intake-valve at 6,000 RPMs:
    1- The piston reaches a maximum speed of 60 MPH

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I dunno........I don't think there's anyhting wrong with thanking someone who helped you out. I guess what I'm trying to get across is that most people's time is valuable and if they make the effort to help, a thank you or at least a "That's what I was looking for, buddy" seems to be in order.

Whatever....it doesn't really matter anyways. I'll continue to help others out because that's one of the reasons I come here. I will also continue to thank those that help me.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'm with you Paul - I hate when things get left un........................finished[​IMG]

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, generally I agree with you. I know many times I have given long replies, spent a while thinking about a problem, and/or gone out in the cold to look at my truck for some bit of relevant info that I didn't know off the top of my head, all with no acknowledgement. I've even posted the follow up saying, "so? how did it go?". But, I generally don't let it bother me either way.

I look at it like this. We don't get any kind of reward for trying to help so a thank you is about it. It feels good just to know you've helped someone and we can never be sure if we were right unless someone says so. It lets us know when a guess or hunch worked out and may help us (or other users who ACTUALLY USE THE SEARCH!) in the future. Some posts that are just sort of conversational don't need that sort of "you were right" feedback, but I generally will say "thank you" especially if a well thought out reply showing effort someone expended on my behalf has helped. I'm sure there are time I could/should have said "thank you" and didn't but, I try.

Also, like Twiz, I usually don't respond to the same old questions asked a couple of times a week. Once upon a time, I went through almost every post and, if someone had not answered something that I knew the answer to, I would answer to the best of my ability (sometimes long winded). I don't do that any longer. I figure let the other people who were newbies a couple of weeks ago answer. It lets them feel they have contributed and saves me the frustration of repeatedly typing the same thing along with, "you know, there is a search link at the top...".

Now I just read the posts with an interesting subject or it was posted by someone I've come to know and respect. I won't even look at a post with a vague subject unless I'm bored with time to kill. I figure, "Tough luck! If you can't be bothered to put some thought into your subject, why should I put thought or time into looking to see IF I can help, IF it is relevant, etc." Sorry, but I hate seeing subjects like "ANYONE" (all caps and vague) or "Question". Many others are not much better. Things like "383", "SBC" or "TH400". No offense but, come on people, the "subject" is just that, THE SUBJECT. What is the post about? There is no one-word limit on the subjects. Give us a short phrase so that those of us with little time but (perhaps) relevant knowledge may be more inclined to actually look at your post.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Me likum you post Russ, especially the last couple paragraphs.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. Tall_Girl

Tall_Girl Registered Member

Personally, as a newbie, I can't even explain how thankfull I am. But sometimes I'm having trouble finding my posts back. This board is going so fast. But anyways. If it means anything, I could just hug you all.

XXX
    Lana.

6'5" tall Dutch girl, just bought a 88 K5, and about to dump the jeep.

11. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I am w/ Twiz also. I like to help out, and have put thot into what I post. (well sometimes I do!! LOL!) But for example, how many posts have there been regarding Vortec heads? TONS! The last few weeks there seems to be a resurgance of interest in them. I try to help out and will answer questions, if they are NEW questions. But when there are a bunch of replies and EVERYTHING you would need to know to cover it is there, WHY THE HELL DOES SOMEONE ASK THE SAME QUESTIONS 2 DAYS LATER!!!! AND WORSE YET WHILE THE 1ST QUESTION IS STILL ACTIVE IN THE 1ST 2 PAGES! Its not just Vortec heads, I just used that as an example because it just happened.

I can understand not wanting to pirate someone elses thread, but if you add a legitimate question to an active discussion, you have not only helped yourself but prob helped the person who started it.

I asked a bunch of questions a few weeks ago on Hydro Boost brakes, but only after I did a search and came up w/ a few issues that I was wondering about. I got good links that I had never seen before, and great info that I had not seen in my searches.

We have all done it before, (repeated questions) but it seems to be getting out of hand at times. And just knowing that what was asked is now fixed or the advice worked is good.

In other words dont ask a question then never respond to your own thread!

OK Ill hop off the soap box now.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

OK!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

To find my recent posts that have rolled off several pages, I use one of several options.

There is search of course.

Also, you can check all of a users recent posts. To do that, you click on their name (anywhere you see it as a link). That will take you to their profile. Down near the bottom is a link to "Show all user's posts" that lets you see all posts by that user in reverse order, latest-to-oldest. Strangely enough, how you get to your own profile is not obvious. The easiest way I have found to get to my own profile is to click on "Who's Online" at the top, your name will be listed first.

The other option is to click on the "Favorite" link when reading the post to add it to you "favorites". All threads you add in this way will be listed in your "control panel" (see link at the top for how to get there. You can also add "friends" so that you can see when they are online. To do that, just add people (your "friends") to your address book from their profile page. Obviously this is nice for your own posts you want to keep track of as well as any random thread of interest.

These are things I use, I'm sure there are others you might find useful. Reading the FAQ and just poking around following links will give you a great deal more insight into how the site works.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

So, what 14 bolt will fit in my truck? And can I fit 15" wheels on it? [​IMG]

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

15. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

And speaking of pirating a thread........going off topic.......and not doing a search! LOL!! [​IMG]

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

16. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

what 14 bolt will fit in my truck? And can I fit 15" wheels on it?

<hr></blockquote>LOL. Remember when it was "Will 35's fit under a 4" lift?" (I have a 4" lift and I have 35's on order that should arrive next week. Sawzall and new blades are on standby)

Merry Christmas everyone!!

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

17. Highliner

Highliner Registered Member

First off, there are lots of well thought out replies in here, so don't whine that I'm responding to the wrong person. I'm talking to each of you. I just thought the newbies (myself included) could use a little backing.

I have been around long enough to see that some of the same questions get posted continually. Some are ridiculous I agree, but keep in mind the profiles of some users; they are teenageers (or adults) who want their answers NOW and won't bother with a search. Also, remember there are those of us who do a search and get 15 (or 20, or 30...) pages of useless crap back with it. I apologize, but I didn't know it was this big a deal to ask a question again.

As far as subject lines go, good point. They should be discriptive. I am guilty of posting a 383 question myself. I was thinking anyone as interested in 383's as I am would answer. However, I now see I could've gotten better input with a more detailed subject line. I guess when I write something I should put myself in the board-junkies shoes before making a "silly post". I will from now on. I also ask that you put yourself in a newbies shoes now and again. Cut us a little slack (at least the ones trying to help themselves).

Okay, I saved the best for last. I have tried to thank each and every person that has helped me. I have sucked at it, but here's why. I did not know how to put a post in the favorites (or even why I would), but I do now. I think I speak for a lot of us when I say we skipped that part because we are anxious to talk about Blazers! The list of how to do stuff is dull compared to posting on the board... I should've taken the time sooner, but now it's done and I know how to work things (kinda).

In closing, to anyone out there who has helped me personally or through answering another's question, "THANK YOU, you are appreciated".

Damn, I'm so long winded that it's hard to tell I'm still a newbie.

It's all fun and games until somebody gets knocked up, down, or out...
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun27>Highliner Pics</a>

18. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well I guess I'm kinda in the same vote as PI, Twiz, BadDog, etc. My time is kinda limited since I went back to school and cars is what I do all day so I don't answer or look at every post. I'm especially through with trying to deal with "My truck runs like $#@!" without decent info. It is natural that the same questions pop up, but sometimes I see the same topic 3 or 4 times a day. In defense of it all I have to say the search feature pretty much sucks. It is a PIA to use and a lot of times doesn't find what you need, but at least take the time to try it. I know I tried to find the width of the spring perches on a one tone 14B in the archives, but for the life of me couldn't find it in the search.

Also on a final note... Thank yous are nice, but I know sometimes multiple people answer your question so you reply to one to thank everybody. Obviously 5 thank you posts in a row would be lame.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

19. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

This forum may not be perfect, but it is still the best one going! If we want perfection, than each of us better drop out of it, myself especially. Just my perspective of a forum filled with helpful people, good humor and great opinions. Thank you for being all that you are.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

20. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I usually try to say "thanks in advance" when I ask a question, because I figure everyone knows their help is greatly appreciated. As far as repeated posts go, I figure it's like dirty movies, guns, and everything else people whine about, if you don't like it, just move on and let it be. Maybe someone wants some new input on 383's or Swamper SSR's that may differ from what's been posted previously. If it's a post that you're tired of seeing, you're not required to look at it, and if most people feel the same it will go away pretty soon. Personally, I like to see new input on subjects that interest me. Who knows how many new people discover this site every day. All in all, I've found very little to complain about with this site. I haven't met any of you in person yet, but I feel I've made a ton of new friends with the same interests as me and that's always good. And as time and finances allow, I hope to meet as many of you as possible, hopefully at Potosi, Moab, the Rubicon and anywhere in Colorado. Better throw in Attica, Tellico and that big place in Pennsylvania, can't remember the name right now. Anyway, everybody have a great holiday, and here's to a muddy and rocky New Year!

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton