Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

one more np203 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ROCKBUGGYK5, Apr 8, 2001.

1. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

by the way yesterday i was fourwheeling and on the first ledge of the trail i ran into trouble, i got my frontend up and over and then i tried to crawl my rear end over and a bounce occured not that big of one though, and i wasnt on the gas that hard and all of the sudden my transfercase flew into nuetrall and an awfull grinding noise emitted and it sounded terrible, so i hoped out to check it out and i notice fluid is just puring out of my transfercase i mean a lot, then i noticed the whole damn case was cracked in like 5 places and there was a hole the size of a golfball in it....heres my question do yall think it was caused by abuse (does the case usually crack when the break) or im thinking it could have been that my d shaft was to long and when it compressed from the bounce it cracked it, however i kinda doubt that cause i wheeled it onced before and the d shaft didnt hurt anything, off ya then when i got pulled back to the trailhead it sounded like i was going up a roller coaster ya know that clicking noise when they get pulled up th first hill, well my main question is what do yall think broke it the abuse, or the d shaft being to long, and do u think the tranny should be ok and also it is completely indrivable i put it in drive and the engine just revs up no movement and when the tranny is in park i can stil roll is that normal when a t case breaks or yall think i broke the tranny to?
    adam

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Wow. You cracked a NP 203!!! In all the magazines and stuff I have read I have never heard of anyone putting a hole or crack in an NP203. Those things are cast iron. Are you sure it was the actuall T case or just the alluminum output shaft housing? I'm guessing the tranny will be fine. From what it sounds like you just broke the t-case and its stuck in neutral. I'm guessing your drive shaft may have been too long and when you hit the bump it pushed the output shaft up too hard. Good luck fixing it.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Sparky on 04/08/01 08:08 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

abuse, age, no matter. sounds like the t-case grenaded. thats quite an accomplishment, you cracked a cast iron case. it sounds like you had plenty of fluid in it, not the problem. depending on the location of the 'hole', your tranny is probably ok. usually the weekest link is first to go.
    good luck,
    MTPockets

4. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

ya i cracked the the whole damn case haha im ordering doubler today yeippppeeee

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED