Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One more time and a 10 bolt is going back in.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Jun 27, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Just kidding - But I am getting real sick of replacing grease seals in my 14 bolt! Should I try a speedy seal this time? Everytime I replace one it works great for about a year than bammo, leaky as 14-bolt.

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Is this on the pinion or the spindles?

Are the seal surfaces all scoured up? If so, then yeah try putting a speedy sleeve deal on it if you can't clean em up with emory cloth.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My pinion seal was actually leaking around the metal part of the seal. I seated it with silicone and problem went away.

Nobody likes a leaky messy, and unsightly rearend. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Oh yeah, if it is the wheel seals the you might not be running enough torque on the nuts.

Can you feel a groove on the places where it leaks?

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your using quality seals I hope!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I use Torco GL-6 85W140 racing gear lube... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    It's more like the sulfer based lube...
    that was used in the sixties and earlier..
    It's a VERY STICKY LUBE...
    It may help preserve those seals...and keep down the heat!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. CK5

Sorry, it is the passenger side spindle, I haven't taken it apart yet, I didn't see any deep groves or anything last time I changed it.
    I believe I got the seal from Napa last time, is there a better one, maybe a dealer part?
    Anybody use a speedy sleeve? part number?

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I had the same issue with the drivers side seal of the 14 bolt. There was a nice sized groove from years of use that I couldn't avoid. A speedy sleeve from NAPA fixed it right up. No leaks for over two years now. I don't have the part number, but someone else should.

BIGJ

7. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I've been running 14Bs since 1986 and have found that the GM seals hold up the best. If your spindle is good and you have a quality seal it should last at least several years. It got to the point that I only changed them when doing the rear brakes. Maybe you need a speedi sleeve?

8. CK5

I have to go to the dealer and get a flange gasket anyway, so maybe I will get the seal there and slap a speedy sleeve on wheather it needs one or not.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Drop a PM to stoopalini. I think he put speedi-sleeves on his 14-bolt. Maybe he's got a part number. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Car Quest part number #99282 is the speedi-sleeve. Around $50 for a pair. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I kept a copy of this from a long time ago...

Speedy Sleeve for 14BFF

Reged: 10/17/00
    Loc: Austin, Texas
    Re: Calling All Speedi-Sleeve Gurus... [re: aandpman] 05/09/02 02:27 PM Edit Reply

Hey, I did a writeup on a speedi sleeve install, but the host that it was on is no longer up. The NAPA part # is 'OIL SEAL P/N# 99282' I'll email you the write up with pics so you can check it out. Maybe I should send it over to Steve? would be a good article for the tech section ..... Thomas. ------------------- '84 3/4 Ton Blazer Post Extras:
    aandpman
    CK5 Member

Reged: 09/06/01
    Loc: Crockett, Texas
    Re: Calling All Speedi-Sleeve Gurus... [re: Stoopalini] 05/09/02 02:39 PM Edit Reply

Thanks for the info..... That would be a great write-up for steve to put up in the tech section..... Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. 85 K10 14bff & D44 in works;) Post Extras:

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Beat ya to it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif