Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One more time around with lifters...........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Jun 23, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, on the driver side there is no oil getting to the two lifters in the front. SO after 150 at the "pro shop" down the street and them saying they have no idea what it is. They wanted me to let them pull the motor and get inside it. See i dont have the cash for that. I was told that the cam was flat and the cam, lifters, push rods and rocker arms should be replaced. Do you agree with that?
    Lifters are new, the old ones were scratched up. So before i do that anything else you guys can think of i should do?? Any ideas? No cash left to take to a pro shop again. Well, thanks guys.

Mike

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am curious to know why the two front lifters aren't oiling. If the cam is flat, that might explain why there is no oil getting to the two from lifters.
    Was the motor backfiring or anything when you took it in? I had a sbc with a flattened cam and it backfired thru the carb. An exhaust lobe was flat.

I would check the push rods for straightness, but otherwise would NOT replace them or the rocker arms. I would however replace the cam and the lifters at the same time.

3. 84CUCV

I am working on it. the motor has 600 miles on it. So i will be buying a cam shorlty. Its a 90 sub and no it was not back fireing at all

thanks mike

4. 84CUCV

Anyone else have any ideas on this? thanks

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was always under the impression that once installed and run that a cam and lifters where a matched set. I have always kept lifters layed out such that they went back in a rebuild using the same cam in the same position they came out of.
    Something is not right with the cam and lifters IMO.

6. branrat

branrat Registered Member

ALWAYS replace cam & lifters together unless it is a roller cam setup....I agree with above above about pushrods/rockers.

A good place for engine info is www.chevytalk.com

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I was always under the impression that once installed and run that a cam and lifters where a matched set. I have always kept lifters layed out such that they went back in a rebuild using the same cam in the same position they came out of.
    Something is not right with the cam and lifters IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, however you can put an old cam in with new lifters and break it in like a new cam with good results.

The other way around or using used lifters at all is a no go in my opinion, unless like you said, you put all of them back on the lobes that they came off of.

8. 84CUCV

thanks for the in put guys. mike