Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One more time with the hard starting *UPDATED*

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Nov 10, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I am sure some of you know last year around this time I put the same post up. Well, I redid the GP system. That is all new. So the only thing I can think of is it is sucking air from somewhere. This is my DD and this is becoming a real PIA! I have never had one truck give me so much crap. I am about to sell this thing I am so sick if this crap! ANyway, it getting fuel I think. There is a cloud after I get the thing started. once a gain thanks for the help guys. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: One more time with the hard starting COLD SUCKS!!!!

OK,

AC60G glow plugs?
    Manual controller?
    Batteries in tip top shape?
    Starter provides enough cranking speed?
    How cold are we talking?
    If it's below freezing are you plugging it in at night?

Mine used to be a hard starting pig when it was cold, or had sat for a while. I went through all that in order and finally after putting in a new starter I have no more starting trouble. Even in the low 20's without being plugged in it'll fire right up.

Rene

3. 84CUCV

GP are 11gs That what I got from parts plus.
    Stock controller for a M1009
    Batteries about 4 years old
    cranking speed. How do I know what is good anyway?
    When I get up it is about 30 out, not to bad yet.
    When I had the water out I forgot about the block heater. Sh!t

Thanks a lot Rene. AS soon as I get a reply back I am going to get right on it. Mike

4. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Yes, sell it to me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 84CUCV

If this keeps up I might! mike

6. 84CUCV

Anyone???

7. tRustyK5

Does your truck have the stock filter housing with the fuel heater and stuff? I think it's a rectangular filter assembly up on the firewall...

I've heard they can be prone to pinhole leaks in the filter assembly.

If you just run a filter and a Racor, remove the line coming into the Racor and using a small container to catch the fuel check to see if the lift pump is supplying fuel. Have someone else crank it (disconnect the pink wire from the IP first) while you aim the supply into the container and watch for flow. It should be prett evident if the lift pump is working properly...there will be a good flow of fuel if it is.

Double check that all the fuel line clamps are tight enough. I double clamped every place where rubber lines met steel lines.

If you suspect the fuel system is bleeding down overnight try and park the truck on a hill so the fuel tank is the higher than the lift pump. If it starts much easier the next morning it could be a small air leak somewhere between the tank and the lift pump.

Do your glow plugs cycle normally? Tested all 8?

Cranking speed, pretty hard to tell unless you have another 6.2 truck to compare with. I thought mine was OK, but after the new starter went in I was amazed at how much faster it spins over now. Easily twice the speed of the old starter. The new starter has made the most difference in cold starts on my truck.

I hope you find what is wrong and get it fixed. Don't feel bad about how much trouble your truck has given you...I've gone through the same with mine since putting the 6.2 in place of the 350. All the peripherals have been replaced over the last year. The motor itself is good, but everything else was marginal at best. Lift pump, injector pump, injectors, glow plugs, GP relay, batteries, alternator, starter, block heater...

On the bright side it does start really well now /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

8. 84CUCV

Rene, It is a bone stock M1009. I just did the injection pump about 5k ago and head gaskets. Just found out the work I did is no good. The driverside head is loosing oil like crazy. No more time or $$$. Sorry, to say I am going to sell it soon. To bad no rust and 20k on it. Might sound nuts, but I will miss her. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Have a lot of good times with that truck. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif thanks for the help. I will let you know what i find. Mike

9. tRustyK5

Somebody is gonna get themselves a good truck...

I guess the drivers side didn't have enough compression with the bad head gasket? That would also explain the hard starting.

Rene

10. 84CUCV

What else could it be? Mike