Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One of those days rants

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fjleiter, Apr 9, 2004.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Just a rant... ever have one of those days? Thats been my week! After losing a 10x12 section of the garage to my wifes new laundry room, leaves me with an 18x12 section left. After getting the "new" Blazer, and with the onset of warm weather... I figure it's time to clean it up and get ready for working on the K5. Spent two days cleaning, putting a floor together in the rafters for storage and making space. I sit back, happy with the results, thinking "Wow, look at all the space I have now to get ready for the motor swap, body work etc.. on the K5".

Now comes the kick in the pants... Got the family coming up for Easter (coming up from Virginia/N. Carolina) and get an email from my Dad to "make room in the garage". For a little background, Last year I bought a 1928 Chevy from an elderly friend of my dads, it's been sitting in a barn in rural virginia ever since, car was disassembled back in the 70's, motor was rebuilt and prepped for restoration, and thats the way it has sat up until I purchased it. I had been planning on storing it there until I could get another garage built but a recent bout of unemployment delayed that... Well My dads friend decided he wanted it out NOW.

Too make a long story short, now my garage is gonna be filled backed up, no room inside to work on the K5 and another project that's gonna be begging for my time and money. Should be happy I guess... Anyways, just wanted to rant a bit...

Heres a pic of it... you thought restoring a K5 was fun, start with this trailer full of parts and realize that these were made of wood with a metal frame and the panels all fitted to the wood substructure, guys that assembled these were true craftsman. (think the 24 horse inline 4 would work in my Blazer? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
    [​IMG]

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I see future Hot Rod! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Bill

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And on top of all of that, you don't have any paragraphs to speak of. I feel for you. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I see future Hot Rod! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm torn between restoration or hot rod, I really want to hotrod it but... It turns out to have some history behind the car. Guy I got it from bought it from his neighbor who purchased it new in 1928. Car was used in a Chevy Calendar for Chevy dealerships in 1928, even has his initials on the doors as well as his girlfriends from the calendar.
    Question is... Do I have at it and hot rod it or preserve the history it has (not many restored '28 coupes out there)
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Iz yuz pikkin on mi englesh, wutz a pareegreph?
    (sorry, normally have better writing skills, just too
    distracted at the moment to worry about run-ons)
    /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    And on top of all of that, you don't have any paragraphs to speak of. I feel for you. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

If it was used for a photo shoot before, Restore it to original specs like it was! The Value of it would be priceless and probably get it back in some photo shoot again. It would be cool to have the original pics from the calender shoot as well to go with the documentation of the car!
    Bill

7. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

I actually have a copy of the calendar (original) in a frame, as well as TONS of documentation from the original owner as well. Even had the original 1928 title but the guy I got it from thought he was being nice and turned it in for an updated title to transfer it to me. He wanted to make sure I wouldn't have problems getting it registered etc.. Could have cried when I found out...

Can't tell from the calendar pic but have a larger one on my website that has his name and everything on the bottom credits so it's verifiable as far as authenticity. Biggest problem is restoration parts are VERY expensive as opposed to just hot rodding it. (wood kit alone for the top is a couple grand) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    If it was used for a photo shoot before, Restore it to original specs like it was! The Value of it would be priceless and probably get it back in some photo shoot again. It would be cool to have the original pics from the calender shoot as well to go with the documentation of the car!
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

8. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm torn between restoration or hot rod, I really want to hotrod it but... It turns out to have some history behind the car. Guy I got it from bought it from his neighbor who purchased it new in 1928. Car was used in a Chevy Calendar for Chevy dealerships in 1928, even has his initials on the doors as well as his girlfriends from the calendar.
    Question is... Do I have at it and hot rod it or preserve the history it has (not many restored '28 coupes out there)
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinkin 4x4??? /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Something tells me the wood frame wouldn't hold up real well, not to mention the wood roof would be a nightmare in a roll-over... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm thinkin 4x4??? /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

10. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Something tells me the wood frame wouldn't hold up real well, not to mention the wood roof would be a nightmare in a roll-over... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could throw a pair of tweezers in the glovebox for them pesky splinters?? Rod it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Sell your wife, but a pole barn, be happy

12. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

That is such a cool buy. I love seeing them back to original specs, everyone hot rods those it would be a nice change to see one restored /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Its hard to decide which one to spend money on, I am at that crossroads myself.

13. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Gotta keep her for now (she's paying the bills while I'm unemployed) Then again a pole barn would be nice /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Sell your wife, but a pole barn, be happy

[/ QUOTE ]

14. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Kind of leaning towards restoring it myself, has too much history for me to feel good about hacking it up (although it would be a ton of fun with a small block in it)
    If you want to see the really neat stuff, check out the link, this is some of the stuff my Dad pulled out of this guys barn. (Guy is in his 80's and didn't want his son getting his hands on it, doesn't like his son much....)
    Barn Cars

[ QUOTE ]
    That is such a cool buy. I love seeing them back to original specs, everyone hot rods those it would be a nice change to see one restored /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Its hard to decide which one to spend money on, I am at that crossroads myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

15. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

preserve the history it has (not many restored '28 coupes out there)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's would be the way to go IMO!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif