Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One person removal/installation of topper.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Goose, Jun 15, 2000.

1. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I've seen quite a few posts dealing with how to take the toppers off and on. I keep getting stuck trying to do it by myself and have come up with a way to do it that can work anywhere.

Removal:
    Take out all bolts and leave tailgate up. Get in the back and lift slightly to break seal and start to slide off the rear. Get out and go to the rear of the topper. Pull the topper rearward until it's well past half way. You will be supporting most of the weight, with only about a foot or two still touching the K5. Slowly let your end down entil it rests on the ground. Try not to let the topper slide, just pivot at the end of the bed. Have a piece of 2x4 or whatever about 5' tall. Crawl underneith the topper, push it slightly away from the K5 and prop up with the 2x4. Pull the K5 away, go back and take out the 2x4. (Actually, I do this in the yard and leave it in nuetral, then I just push the K5 forward while holding up the topper.)

Installation:
    With the topper propped up with the 2x4 slowly back up until you're as close as possible. Remove 2x4 and rest topper on end of bed. Go to back of topper and lift. Then carefully slide forward and re-install bolts.

I have a '73K5 that is missing some of the seal hardware where the tailgate and bed rails come together. This makes it a little easier because there is nothing in the way. On the newer one, you will have to be more careful, but it can be done.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I think my way is a little easier, i take out the bolts, break the seal, then prop it up on some scrap 4x4's then, as suggested in teh owners manual, i bolt a couple 2x4's to it side to side, one in front and one in back, then i throw down a couple towels to keep from scatching the paint, then you just slide it off the back onto the custom, 4& 1/2 foot tall saw horses i built, i do it all by myself, every year, untill the neigbors call the cops about the "camper shell" in the front yard. I hate my neigbors. they just don't understand car people.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

it's when i was sliding the top up towards the cab when the incident happened. as soon as i clean out my garage, i'll rig up a pulley system. until then, i think i'll stick to utilizing my co-workers' backs.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

I do the same thing with my 87 but I just rest it on the ground and then flip it over backwards on the ground. When I put it on I pick it up and get under it and then turtle it into position and slide it back on. Even with the 4 inch lift. It was alot eaiser without the lift though!

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I just took my full top of on saturday and had one friend help, we just had one inside lift with back the other at the gate and then rest on tailgate so he could get down then walked it to the side of the house and there it will sit! Thinking og letting the wife turn it into a garden and never put it back on! I got the soft top and that seals better anyway just a little noiseier going down the hwy, but hey thats what loud music is for!![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

What does the top weigh? I've never had mine off, but I need to replace the seals to the cab, so it's gotta come off sooner or later. The "little lady" is just that - 5 foot nothin and 98 lbs. - can't really ask her to help. It would squash her in a second!

behemoth K5

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Duno if you have a full top or half but my full top is a heavy sucker I would guess a couple hundred lbs. the half top should be fairly easy to do compared to the full top!

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Half top.

behemoth K5

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That's about the same way I do mine, only I get impatient. Another trick that I've started useing, is a peice of old PVC pipe. I get inside the truck, lift up with my back then slide the pipe under both sides. Makes rolling the top back a LOT easier.

Just thought I'd through that one in.

Kyle
    89K5

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

...I'm taking notes here.

behemoth K5

11. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I heard that that the full toppers are around 400 lbs is this true, cause if it is I'm only 140 lbs myself I haven't taken the top off yet but I plan on taking it off soon, I think I will need some help.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't think it's quite that heavy but it is heavy, too heavy for one person, average person, it's mostly long and awkward to manuver. Good luck

13. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I use rachet straps around the rafters in my garage. I place a strap thru the rear window opening and the other end thru the slider window(both sides). I attached the ends snug the straps a little. I then place a floor jack under the rear end, jack the truck up about 6"inches, tighten the straps, then let the jack down slowly and drive out. The reverse is done when I replace it. Plus I can still back my truck in under it at night. Removal and install usaully takes about 20-30 minutes( I take my time)

14. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

You guys that do it by yourselves must be pretty damn big and strong. If it slides off the side you won't be happy just ask Delta. I needed a co-workers help for the lifting and the wife helped guide it on the bedrails. If I wasn't renting this house I would build a rack for it. Wish someone would buy my 80 parts K5 so I could buy a soft top.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

15. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
  16. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

Last time I took mine off I just jumped it without 1/2 the bolts in. Oh yeah, that's why it's in the garage in pieces instead of on the road. Never mind, try one of the other systems.