Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One piece fiberglass front ends

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Cmoe, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Would like info on Fiberglass full front end, forward tilt. Anyone use/have one?

2. Stratispho

Stratispho 1/2 ton status

:doah:Glad to see someone else can't find it...

BUMP

Anyone?

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I have a USBody full K5 tub and tilt front clip. I love it. Of course, It's not on the road yet, but makes working on things in the motor compartment easy, slides off easy for more access yet.
    Closed:
    [​IMG]
    Open:
    [​IMG]
    And closup of the hinge
    [​IMG]

Had to slice the center out of the rad support, moveitback about 1", and brace it to the firewall. Other than that, piece of cake install..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  4. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Pics

Dude could pls. post more in more detail, sure would save me alot of rust repair, not to mention the next person who owns it. How is the fit between doors, winshield. It is an awesome looking truck you've got going. Later J.

5. 73k5blazer

Windshield fit is almost perfect. Of course mine is a '73-80 style, not seen it in a '81-up style to if yours is that, windshield fit is irrlevent. Your choice whether to cut to little grille openingins up there or not. Door to front clip fit is another story. Mostly because of logistics. The lower back 1/4's are seperate sections, so you need to mount the clip, mount the lower quarters, get everything to line up, jossle, jossle again, jossle still again, fasten, unfasten to paint (or in my case line-x). They sell whole front clips as well, I almost thing that would be easier than their pre-split clip because just lay it on there, get it fastened down and then cut it. The pre-split one (which I have), there's too much room for crap to move while your trying to fasten other crap down. In the end, my clip to door lines are a little wide, but nothing I can't live with. You have to cut all the light openings, and get the grille to fit right (I made custom alum. brackets to fit my '73 grille in there), and make a disconnect for the wiring so you can remove the clip in whole when you want (the hinges allow for easy removal, just lift to 91degrees and slide to one side and it's off).
    All said and done, the work of fitting it and making it work is well worth it I think. It's clean, it fits well (after a little elbow grease), makes working on the motor for little crap a breeze, and installing and removing motors very easy. Just keep in mind, it's not a 1-2 job. It's a good week or 2. But you won't worry about rust ever again.
    There's probably more pics your might want to peruse on my site.
    http://www.snyderworld.org/gallery/K5Blazer

6. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Fiberglass Tub

Nice work, went to your site!!! Your right, it is alot of fitting. Dude is the fire the reason for the rebuild??? Sorry to see that!!! Well that looks like one direction I could go in, hope someone has it in a first gen. Thanks for the info. and the reply. Later J.

7. Stratispho

Stratispho 1/2 ton status

So all I have to do is have an "accidental" fire to convince my wife to let me spend some money on a new front end... great idea!

8. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

They say cab bodys can't be shipped and have to be picked up locally. You drove all the way to Florida to get that thing!:eek1:

9. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Trailer Products does some fiberglass stuff. Mostly desert race, but they make several things to fit the older chevy trucks.

www.off-roadfiberglass.com

10. 73k5blazer

Yep. Drove to Florida from Michigan to get it. I was single, had the the week off between christmas and new years (ordered the body in September), just bought my '97 K2500, had open snowmobile trailer to haul body (put clip in bed), a friend of mine lived in Jacksonville (He was Navy then) only 1 hour from US Body, so I stayed with him for the week, Looking back, that trip was a blast!
    BTW, that fire was in 1988, it's my '78 K5 burning there. Bought my '73 in '94, tore it down due to major cancer in '98, still building today.