Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One piece main, 4 bolt, roller 350 block...

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by dyeager535, Oct 2, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What years would I be looking for to find one of these. It's either find one of these, or stick with whatever 4 bolt 2 piece main block the machine shop can find to replace mine.

Not familiar hardly at all with the later motors, but realize I'd need a matching crank and flywheel to retrofit to my SM465. Want a 4 bolt because, hey, thats what they ruined. Is the flywheel I'm gonna need going to be one that was originally mated up to an NV4500? (I've got the "big" clutch now obviously)

Anyone know if the cars got 4 bolt main motors after the changeover to one piece rear mains in '87? Just need some places to look locally, if I can find a motor that meets my criteria, it will save me about $400 on retrofit roller lifters.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got a spare 4 bolt 350 sitting in my dads garage thats for sale...what are you talking about 1 piece and 2 piece main?

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

'87 and up Corvette's have the roller cam and one-piece rear main seal, at least until they went to the LT1. It's been years since I wasted my '87 'vette block, and I don't recall if it had 2 or 4 bolt mains.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm talking about one piece and two piece rear main seals. The crank and flywheel are different on those than on the earlier blocks, and don't interchange.

One piecers don't leak, (as easily) and were an '87-up improvement on the small blocks.

You don't ever make it up this way do you? The block I assume is an earlier non-roller cam?

I'm gonna make the shop do most of the legwork, but I know if I want a one piece rear main roller cam 4 bolt block, I'm gonna have to find it. But they are having a problem coming up with a "standard" block anyways, so if I can find something better, I'd rather go that route.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm not positive on what this one is, but I'm going over to my dads today, I'll have a look. But I believe its from the older yrs, 70's - early 80's. But I'll look anyways.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I believe they started the roller cam 4-bolt main blocks when they started the vortecs, but i could be wrong. Scoggin Dickey has those blocks for sale for $500 or so right now.