Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One repair leads to another...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Jun 10, 2002.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well over a year after getting rear ended by a drunk in Portland I'm finally getting around to straightening my truck out. The tailgate was pushed way into the truck which spread the tailgate posts outward and bent the tailpan. I replaced the tailgate, but I had a hard time opening and closing it due to the corners being spread out. Also the bottom of the tailgate would get bound up on the center of the floor because the tailpan was bent.

Anyways, I took the half top off, removed the back seat and started scratching my head/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I finally found a long enough piece of box tube that fit from one side to the other and used my hi-lift jack to straighten the tailpan out. The corner posts didn't come in as far as I'd hoped so i guess I'll need to gusset them...more work. The area that the tailgate bolts to is partially broken underneath, so I'll have to re-weld and repair that as well.

It just seems like you start to fix one thing and the project gets bigger and bigger. I'm tempted to remove the tailgate completely like Steve's truck, but mine is still a daily driver.../forums/images/icons/frown.gif

At least the tailpan is straight now!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Barn doors Barn doors Barn doors /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I ended up replacing my tail pan with a peice of C channel . Didn't need to worry about hinges but wouldn't be hard to make a provision for them .

3. tRustyK5

Well my tailpan is solid and the tailgate I replaced the damaged one with is mint...kinda hard to turn your back on that. I'm using all sorts of caveman tools to pull and tweak this pig back into shape now. I got a length of chain and a good sized turnbuckle and my box sides are coming in. Right now they are 3/8" wider overall at the top of the tailgate compared to the bottom of the gate.
    I'm pulling each side diagonally from a couple of bolt holes that suited my needs /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I'll probably weld in some small gussets at the corners to reinforce that area and keep it from spreading again.

Rene

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks /forums/images/icons/frown.gif dont it always turn out like that?

5. tRustyK5

Yeah...I broke down and removed the tailgate. I got even more work in store for me now /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    The part of the tailpan the tailgate hinge bolts to is pushed inwards about 3/4" on the passenger side and part of the plate on the drivers side was sheared off. I'll have to fab up a replacement plate for the drivers side and get creative on the passenger side. I'm thinking of making a bolt on tab with a big eye for a chain and then hooking up to a 4000 lb hunk of concrete we have at work and give the truck a few tugs...

All this because I was a little bored on my days off... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Did I mention my neighbors think I'm insane? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

6. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I used a come along to squeeze the two posts together /forums/images/icons/grin.gif seems that the driver one always gets bent somehow when i'm wheeling without the top on! - Doug

7. tRustyK5

The posts are straight now, but I'm going to gusset them for when I go wheeling. I don't want those corners to fatigue and start cracking next.

The ironic part is that i used to have a straight truck that was rusty...I now have a rust free truck that ain't straight. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Rene

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Did I mention my neighbors think I'm insane?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Your neighbors think your insane? Have you seen the pics of my buggy in progress? My neighbor hears the saw, grinder, compressor, chisel etc. running when I'm working on it and comes to look over the fence between our back yards at the mess I'm making. He's pretty cool, especially about all the noise, but he definitely don't get it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. tRustyK5

My new neighbors just moved in...He's a lawyer and she's a paralegal. Two brand new GM vehicles probably worth more than our townhouse...

I'm outside with a sledge hammer, a 9" grinder, my welder, a bunch of chain and all my hand tools strewn all over the driveway. Every time they came outside more of my truck was 'missing'. First the hard top, then the rear seat, and finally the tailgate...

I haven't even introduced myself to them yet /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I can imagine what your nieghbors think! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rene

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I got a new porta power kit here(maybe lil bro has it at his house) if you need it.

11. tRustyK5

That would be very handy! If you don't mind I'd love to borrow it...much more versatile than my hi-lift /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Are you off tomorrow? I'm off tomorrow, but have to work Wed-Sat dayshift.

Rene

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have a funeral in the morning and have to leave at noon for spokane overnight trip.
    if it is here at home I can leave it on the deck in that ?credensa? for you.
    I am moving to our new house in Chilliwack this weekend so it would be a crap shoot to get hold of me then

13. tRustyK5

I'll try and swing by around 11:30 or so. Maybe I'll catch you just before you leave.

Sorry about the funeral...I hate going to those.

Rene

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

yeah this will be the worst
    wife's school friends, newlywed, she is 8mos pregnant, he apparently accidentally electrocuted himself at home

15. tRustyK5

That's brutal...

Rene

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

too bad I wasn;t closer we could winch it!!! But that Porta Power will probably do the job better!

Never fails though once you fix one thing, more things pop up!

17. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Hey Grimmer,
    I can't believe you yelled at me for wanting to eliminate the tailgate on my K5 completely when I posted about it. After that I read your report on how to pack stuff for a trail run and saw that you had done the same thing! What's up with that man?

18. tRustyK5

Porta power should make the job easy... &lt;famous last words&gt; /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

rene

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya hopefully, just dont rip the bed side off ! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

20. tRustyK5

LOL, I already tore the top of the bedsides at the corner posts and had to re-weld them /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Then I got medievel on it and welded the 3x3 tube right to the corner posts from side to side...

Rene