Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

one rotor wearing more then other?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandracer0004, Oct 25, 2003.

1. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

guys i recently switched from 1/2 to 3/4 ton suspension on my 89 burb, it had 10 bolts i swapped in d44, and corp 14. i retained the original front calipers and replaced rotors pads bearings etc up front and left rear as it was, (was in pretty good condition) now that i have it all installed and have driven it a bit. i notice that the left front rotor has wear but the right front doesnt look like it at all? it is grabbing but it doesnt have the wear on it like the left. still has the machine lines in it? any ideas? i didnt replace the master cylinder or anything ? should i for 3/4 upgrade? proportioning valve? HELP!!!

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well you shouldnt have machining lines in the rotor at all, when the rotors are machined, they should be sanded to remove the directional scoring from the lathe..and after about 4 or 5 days of driving it, you should be able to see a nice glaze on the rotors..

3. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Does the truck pull when you stop?

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

you shouldent NEED a mastercylinder or proportioning valve(unless you went with disk but thats still irrelevent) because your using the same callipers so your like pressure shouldent change for the front and even if it did they should still both get equal pressure if the truck pulls you might want to get some reman callipers there pretty cheap with a core, also another thing that could be very possible is that your brake hoses... old hoses will get a lip inside and hold pressure both ways it wont do some wont do it every time but like if it pulls or the brakes hold up.

5. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

yes it pulls bad to the right. could a sticking brake caliper make it not stop correct? my buddy said they are pretty cheap to replace

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

calipers are real cheap to replace 12-15 a piece, real easy to do to. You will need to bleed the brakes after ( personaly I would bleed all 4 corners if you can get the rear bleeders loose, you would be suprised how much better your brakes feel when you replace the 20 year old fluid.)
    I would also recomend roughing the surface of your rotor and the pad from the side that wasnt wearing properly with sand paper or a grinder with an easy buff.
    Now not all brake pulls are cuased by the brakes, I just fixed mine replacing the shackle and leaf spring bushings( as the truck was stoping the axle was shifting about 1.5 inchs)good luck