Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One step back... (700r4 conversion)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well, I can see the protests now, but I've made up my mind. I wanna drop the SM465 in my shortbox in favor of a 700r4. Now, just wait, I have good reasons. First off, its a daily driven 2wd shortbox. It has a pretty healthy 355 (335hp) and I want it to move. The trouble is that I only get 13 mpg combined, downshifting to 1st is a real chore (bad fork or synchro) and the clutch slips on hard take offs.

I know that i'll need a new drive shaft, torque convertor control, linkeage, cooler, flexplate, shifter and dipstick. What else have I missed? I'm primarily concerned about the crossmember. I have my exhaust all made up and I dont want to have to change it.

Thanks!

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if it is a 2wdr get a car tranny
    a Tremec 3500 or TKO would be cool
    slushboxes suck

3. Blazer_Boy

Done! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The SM465 2wd crossmember bumps into the pan on a 700r4. A little work with the torch and welder and the exhaust clears the 700r4 crossmember now. Boy, it sure is nice not falling on your face when you shift into second. Now for some 3.73s and a higher stall converter... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What are you talking about? The 700-R4 has one of the worst 1-2 "drops" of any "modern" automatic tranny.

But yes, it's less than the 465. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dorian

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    downshifting to 1st is a real chore (bad fork or synchro)

[/ QUOTE ]

1st gear is not synchronized in a 465.

6. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I love mine since I had them rebuilt right. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Lots of nice firm shifts. I have to look, but I found a good article here about mods for the 700r4 that My friend used when he rebuilt mine. Make a lot more steady pressure now and even does good at low rpm's off road. The shifts are kind of hard now, but that's because of the clutches and steels we used.

7. Blazer_Boy

You referring to low? My first is probably your second, its all good though. Low and Reverse have the tell tale unsynchronized grind, lol.

8. Blazer_Boy

Lol, gotta like that 3.06-1.62 shuffle. I thought about a 200r4, but I'm poor. We had several 700r4s and donor vehicles. The only thing I spent money on was a TV bracket, shifter, pressure switches, fliter, and some fluid.

I know a dude selling a 4.56 rear now and am thinking about it. Only 2,200 RPM at 60. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I know a dude selling a 4.56 rear now and am thinking about it. Only 2,200 RPM at 60. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

GET IT!!