Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

one tail pipe smoking....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by savagek5diesel, Aug 17, 2006.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

Question i wanted to ask before i spend money that i might not have to is...... My passenger side exhuast it contantly puffing smoke, and if you let it sit and idle, every few minutes it will bellow a big cloud of white smoke. I'm guessing this is prolly due to worn injectors, so that is what i'm leaning to purchase here shortly. Anybody have any input on this?
    Also my IP is showing signs of wear because it leaks fuel out the throttle arm, and i know i have an air leak in my fuel line somewhere, because i have to prime the lines if it sits for a day or two.

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

is it true duals?

3. savagek5diesel

yup

yeah, i have true duals.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

this happens all the time, right? not just when you've recently started it? white smoke means unburned fuel.

if the smoke only happens when stating it up, check your glow plugs on that side of the engine.

otherwise, i would then check the injection pump timing - tho that would probably create smoke thru both tail pipes, not just one. there is a small mark on the top of the timing cover, if the mark on the pump is to the passenger side, it is retarded and would cause the fuel to not burn fully, thus the smoke.

i could see that as an injector issue too... but don't know much about the mechanics of that. perhaps one of your injectors is not functioning perfectly, and causing the fuel to not be sprayed out in a fine mist or it's delayed, and thus the puffing of one cylinder. that sounds like a likely cause, but i don't know how to test which cylinder/injector it might be.

beyond that, someone else will need to chime in.

5. savagek5diesel

yeah, this happens all the time, warmed up or cold. Large cloud on a cold start up. On the throttle, both smoke white pretty well, but i can only imagine that the pass. side exhuast is smoking more.
    I've been leaning toward new injectors for awhile now, just havn't wanted to throw down the cash for them seeing as how the truck still runs well. But i'm sure i'll see a noticeable improvement with new ones. The truck has got about 130k miles on it, somekind of IP work done from a PO, since there is a sticker on the IP from an IP shop.
    Glow Plugs were replaced a year and a half ago. I did test each one @ the electrical connection to the glow plug when i replaced them, all was good. Maybe time to check again though.
    So maybe i'm looking @ a check in to a shop, do the timing, maybe kick up the IP a hair (because i've been wanting to, and have been unsuccessful myself) and new injectors.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My truck smoked like a train when the IP and injectors needed doing...but still ran well. :doah:

I had Accurate diesel do my IP and 8 injectors, cost $347 at the time which inlcuded shipping and the difference was amazing. Ran better and after a few seconds when dead cold no smoke anymore.

Rene

7. savagek5diesel

that puts me at ease, and excites me at the same time. I'm now sold on IP rebuild and new injectors. Thanks TRusty and colby for your input.:bow: