Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One ton and rear disc swap complete...almost.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by marine_enlisted, May 20, 2004.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Set up the gears in the 14 bolt today and stuck under the truck. I had done the D60 last weekend and all went well up front. The gear set up went pretty smooth , and the brakes work great. I upgraded to a 1 ton master cylinder and the pedal is high and firm. I had about a 10 mile drive from the Auto Hobby Shop on base to my house. I stopped after the 1st mile to check for leaks and felt different parts of the axle to see if any thing was getting hot. I stopped a couple more times because it sounded like the rear brakes were dragging a little. I noticed the pass side hub was getting a little warm compared to the drivers side. I got about 3 miles from home and I heard a little squeal and felt the rear end grab a little. I am pretty sure a bearing in the hub is toast. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The outer end of the axle shaft was hot to the touch and the first few inches of the axle tube were getting kinda hot too. I pulled the drivers side up onto a curb to make sure there was lots of lube over to the pass side to help cool the bearings, sat there for awhile then limped home. I'll have to wait until tommorrow to check it out. I'm just glad that the new gears are quiet and the diff wasn't getting abnormally hot. I'm pretty sure it's a bearing, as I have had one go out before on another truck, but I don't know what could've caused it to go out in 10 miles. Everything was brand new and I torqued the nut down to 50 ftlbs then backed it off about 1/4 turn. Did the same to the other side and it's nice and cool. Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sorry don't have any ideas, just some sympathy....that sucks after all that work /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If it's just a bearing Don't sweat it. Just hope and pray the spindle isn't burnt. Sometimes the bearings will spin around the spindle. If that is what is happening sometimes you can use a punch to "pock" the area where the bearing rides and that will get you by for a while but its probably only a temporary solution. Basically all it does is raise some metal up so the inside of the bearing won't turn on the spindle. Hope I've helped.

4. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Found the problem. The inner bearing on the pass. side was smoked . Thank god it didn't damage the spindle. It did ruin the hub though. The race is no longer a press fit into the hub, it just falls in and out.I guess maybe this is what caused it in the first place. I had to beat the pee out of the hub to get it out of the drum since it was so rusty. I guess maybe I bent the hub. Oh well it's fixed now one of the salvage yards around here actually had a part for me for a change. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I need to bleed the brakes one more time and get some miles on the rear end to break it in and change the fluid once before we take off for Minnesota on Monday. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

For some reason I always end up doing a big project days before a big road trip. It seems like everything comes down to the last minute. I did the Vortec swap and finished 2 days before moving from North Carolina to Virginia, with a junkyard engine and many other junkyard parts all went well on the trip though. Then when I went on leave to Iowa last fall I had switched from a 700 r4 to a 4l60e that came from a junkyard through E-Bay 3 days prior to leaving. No problems on that trip. I replaced the intake gaskets and injector poppets the day before I drove to Manhattan to pick up my D60, not a problem there. Now I have just switched from 10 bolts with 3.42's to a D60 and 14 BFF with rear disc brakes and 4.56's and we are leaving for Minnesota on Monday evening. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I hope my luck holds out this time. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope my luck holds out this time

[/ QUOTE ] No kidding!! I won't wish you luck so as not to jinx you!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif