Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One ton swap completed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Nov 11, 2002.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifWell, my 1974 K10 has now joined the ranks of the "one ton conversions"! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My D60 front axle was from a 1985 K30 ($450!), my rear axle was from a 1977 2wd 3/4 ton Suburban (whole Sub for $400!-included a 454ci/T400/4:10 14bff). Fellow member JK5 helped with advice, torches, and brakes. I got a raised steering arm block from ScoobyDann, steering brace from ORD, and various other parts (which I'll be using in the ongoing future buildup) from a couple of other members of this sight. Thanks dudes! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The most obvious thing I still need are wheels and tires, something about 9+ inches of lift and LT235/85R16 pizza cutters just looks a little sick! But now that the conversion is done, I have to do all the mods that go along with it: crossover steering, rear disk brakes, shackle flip, front and rear lockers, Doubler, hydraulic clutch conversion, big block engine, and oh yeah, wheels and tires!

I'll try to get pics up soon, this truck is my everyday driver, so I have to do the work chunks at a time and as money allows. I love my truck!

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Cool man can't wait too see the pics! Where did you find that smoking deal on that front D60? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Some people have all the luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I trade my 307 motor for a dana 60
    5 weeks ago.
    Colin

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I want to hear how you ended up with 9" of lift.
    Also, what tire size are you planning for?
    -- Mike

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Mike, I have a 6" BDS spring lift kit in the front, 4" blocks and a homebuilt spring pack on the rear. I also have a 3" body lift. 6+3=9. I plan on doing a shackle flip and 2" lift springs in the rear, maybe in the spring, in an effort to gain more flex. I plan on 36" super swampers, maybe 38"s, and I really don't want to do any fender trimming because I bought new GM fenders for the front 5 years ago, and they're still in excellent condition. I think the 36's will clear with no sheet metal work, 38's might not. I like how the 38's would look, and I plan on doing the "doubler" someday, so I think 38's would work ok with 4:10 gears, since I would be able to gear down with the transfer cases.

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Some people have all the luck

[/ QUOTE ]
    I got my 60 for $400 from a salvage yard. My buddy got his for $150 because it was supposedly bent but we put it in a lathe at 2 shops and it is straight. Another bud boought a '81 K30 for $400 and it had a 60/14FF, 454, SM465, NP208. I almost had another K30 dually with a fuel injected 454 for $500 but they guy decided he wanted to restore it himself but he has a couple more K30 dually 4x4s there I could probably get cheap. My next venture might be a running 'Mog for $1000 and a non-running one for darn near free /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif