Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One top off, another is on!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Storm24m, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

I finally got the hard top off on my blazer. Hung it in a storage shed pretty much the same way Polaris hung his in his garage. Hard to believe, but I didn't run into any problems. Well, except having to air down to get into the shed and that it was about 150 degrees in there and I sweat my a$$ off. I had one person helping, but now I know that I can do it myself. At least taking it off. Then came the soft top (Fast Trac) install. I have to admit, it was easier than I thought it would be.....at first. If the people at STC had given me better instructions, it would have been easier. A lot of guesswork involved. After 3 hours (no help) I had everything done except the top itself. Thanks to the 93 degrees and 65% humidity, I called it quits for a while. I seriously think I was about to pass out. It took me an hour and a half laying down in the A/C before I could get back up without feeling sick. I went back out and spent another hour wrestling the top on. I did it in about 30 minutes, but it didn't look quite right and it was too easy. Then I realized the end pieces had to go OVER the vertical and horizontal window supports. THAT was a pain in the butt. But it's done. It was dark when I finished, so I'll have to get a good look at it in the morning to make sure everything is right. I'll take some pics and post them on my link for anyone interested. THEN, off it comes!! At least all the windows. Overall it took me about 4-4 1/2 hours for the install with no major goof-ups. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

'Polaris' is a she /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Congrats on a job well done. I know what you mean about the heat and humidity. I hate to take a break when I'm into something, but have had to recently. If you think that soft top is just too much trouble, send it my way /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Jealous,
    Andrea

3. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

OOPS!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Thats funny too because I was so close to putting he/she or him/her on there. I didn't because I figured the numbers were in my favor that you were a he, not a she. Figures....I'm not that lucky. As for the top, it is on correctly. It makes a ton of noise slapping against my roll bar with the windows on, but funny enough it barely makes a sound with the side windows off. I can't take the rear window off though. It makes the corners too loose and they come out of the rails. Oh well. Still plenty of air.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Thanks to the 93 degrees and 65% humidity, I called it quits for a while

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds like nice weather. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Make that 98* and 95% humidity and thats Fla. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Makes for a long miserable day leaning over a 200* motor as a mechanic. LOL! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. I used to live in the panhandle myself. Eglin AFB to be exact. Only place I've ever been where I would get completely drenched in sweat from head to toe before 7:30am. NO THANKS!!

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Hell you lived up north! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I hate the humidity, I can take the heat no problem.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Never had a problem with the corners coming loose on mine. What holes are you in on the rear bar? you can add tension if your in the center.
    Yeah the top is funny. Windows all in with the windows up it's quieter than the hard top. Roll the front windows more than 1/4 way down and it will start poping on the roll bar and bows. What happens is it pulls a vacume. What I found is just unzip the rear window about 10 inches on both sides and it lets in enough air that it will stop that. Not much rain will come in at all if it's raining. What ever you do forget about rolling up that back window and driving. It will scratch the window bad.
    My truck is not a daily driver but when I do drive it several day's in a row I just leave the windows out. I have removed the carpet and inside bed pannels. WHat comes in just runs back out. With the windows up if your moving you stay dry. Rear set fols stay dry also. It's when you stop the rain get's blown in /forums/images/icons/smile.gif