Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One wire alt. question again

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skyblazer, Dec 14, 2001.

1. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I know its been covered before, but my Powermaster alt. instructions dont cover it. How does the ammeter work on a one wire alternator. I haven't fired the engine yet, but Im assuming it can't work with the one wire setup. Thanx in advance electronic gurus!!

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    My voltmeter gauge works just like it's supposed to.I've got the Summit brand 140amp alt(made by Powermaster).Ran a 2 gauge welding cable from the alt straight to the battery.Just disconnected the old wiring,taped it up and set it aside.No problems yet.I've been running it for about 3 months now.Here are a couple pics
    http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p6adff1fd87bcb0ca93e97be7fad7653a/fe16b5ba.jpg
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pebf4df22179dcb24f5045bcd39dee8e4/fe16b5d4.jpg>http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pebf4df22179dcb24f5045bcd39dee8e4/fe16b5d4.jpg</a>

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

OK, thats exactly what I did, but with the engine off and a load on the battery, I show no discharge. The book shows a gen. warning lamp on the brown wire that supplies power to the regulator. Is this where the guage is located, and if so, how do I hook it up?

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I take it the system has been converted from external reg. alt.to an internal reg. alt. and the ext. regulator has been bypassed.Check the two 4amp fuses that are located on each corner of the front of the truck,one by the battery and one in the opposite corner.They frequently are the 1st to blow when something goes wrong (like a short or somthing).I show discharge with the lights on and especially when the heater moter is turned on.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

5. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Well figured it out. Just didn't have enough load on the battery to show a discharge. I got the new engine fired yesterday and everything works perfect. I also got a multimeter as an early christmas gift.....that helped to verify things.