Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One wire alternater question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, Jun 26, 2001.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Bought a 140 amp 1 wire alt.I understand that you connect the alt. directly to the battery but what about the other 2 wires that came off the alt. Will the volt meter still work with the 1 wire alt?Can you just "tape off" the other 2 wires?
    I currently have a internally regulated 10SI model.It has the wireing kit that converts over from the external regulater.
    I've recently added dual electric fans and along with the demand of the G.M. TPI fuel injection,stereo,Hella driving lights and the rest of the trucks peripherals the 10SI alt. just does'nt cut it!Thanks

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/picture/p8947726813026de684f60e0bd6f3fbfe/fe8f5839.jpg>http://www.zing.com/picture/p8947726813026de684f60e0bd6f3fbfe/fe8f5839.jpg</A>

2. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Bob, The one wire alt turns itself on when it spins and turns itself off when it is stationary. So yes, the only hookup needed is to connect directly to the battery with a fat wire that can handle the higher amperage. The other wires which ran from the alt to the voltage regulator (and voltage regulator itself) can be eliminated. I untaped the wiring harnesses near the volt reg and cut back all related wires, and retaped harnesses. Looks very neat now. If memory serves me, there is a brown wire which connects the old voltage regulator to the dash voltage gauge. My schematic indicates that this wire also tees elsewhere into the 12 volt system, thus the gauge may still work without the brown wire attached anywhere. I will verify as soon as I re-install my gauge bezel.
    JT