Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One Wire Alternator- Again

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIgJon, May 15, 2002.

1. BIgJon

BIgJon Registered Member

Hello,
    I am sure this question has been answered in the past, but I could not find all the answers when I searched previous postings: I am about to install a one wire alternator into my 72 Blazer.. It looks like it is best to install a heavy gauge wire going to the battery?? Would running the wire to the positive terminal on the starter be safe?? What should I do about the old regulator?
    Thank You for your advice,
    Jon

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Running to the starter be safe...I'm sure it's safe but is it the best way to hook up the alt? Hmmm...well the charge would have to gothru the batt. cable to the batt to keep it charged so that adds more resestance to the circuit bringing down the voltage/amprage from the alt to the batt. I would not hook it up this way but it would still work.
    Is this a high amp alt or stock?
    If high amp I would use 6ga. or 8ga. wire from the alt directly to the + side of the batt for the most effective way to charge your batt.
    As for the old regulator plug, no need to do anything with it just stuff it in the hole near the headlight and forget it...that is what I did with mine anyway....
    Good Luck
    Burt

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
  4. BIgJon

BIgJon Registered Member

Burt,
    Thanks for the advice. It makes good sense.... The alternator is a high amp model I bought from Summit.. I will follow your advice and run it directly to the battery.
    Thanks again,
    Jon

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

You can splice your key on for the one wire, from the old regulator plug. I just snipped it and solderd a new length of wire going to the alt. just another idea for ya.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you're going to a high output alternator you need to go to larger wire than stock. That skinny stock wire will act like a resitor and get to hot. You might even melt it.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I believe your speaking of the charge wire. What I'm talking about is the key on to the regulator inside the alternator. I've done this on every conversion (one wire and external to internal regulator) I've done as well as my own truck. If it's there use it.

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i just did the conversion on mine.same summit version high output.you dony need to run any other wire but the one going to positive on battery.i used 6 guage wire from the hardware store.the alternator doesnt need any other wire because it has a internal switch that turns it on when the rpm reaches around 1200 give or take 100rpm.the regulator gets tossed.just unplug it and electrical tape it to the rest of the harness outr of site.i havent ran it yet but i think one of the wires going to the regualor is supposed to be hooked up to power the battery guage.i never got arounfd to figuring that out yet.

9. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

There is a good article in Car Craft magazine about this subject. Also tells you why the one wire alternator is not the best choice.