Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One wire alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 70jimmy, Mar 22, 2002.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Ok been having some stuff happen lately. Took the wifes van to a dealer for recall work and I drove my Jimmy and it saw me looking at a Subaru WRX. Well when I went to leave it wouldnt start. Found out I had the positive battery cable get a little hot and burn through. Replaced both with 2 guage cables and jumped it and then as I drove my lights and all other accessories got real dull. Ran a test and found the volts were dropping as the vehicle ran. If you jump it it starts at 12 volts and then after 5 minutes its down to 6 volts. Anyway I have heard about upgrading to a one wire alternator. What year chevy do I order it for?? On hookup I heard you run a jumper wire from the post to one of the plugs. Which one. Also the jimmy is a 350 with HEI, 4 barrel, auto if that helps. Thanks.

Trying to build it to run with the big boys.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I assume by your name that you have a "70 jimmy". Just tell the parts people you want a one wire alternator to fit your year vehicle. Your current alternator is a external regulated style but you now want a internal regulated one. I would say to avoid any confusion just get one to fit a 1976 and you will be fine. You may need to clock it so that the wire is in the correct place but no biggie.

3. 70jimmy

Thanks for the response 4X4 high. Not sure what you mean by clock it. I am headed to the parts store shortly. Actually the engine is from a 76 chevy pickup so that should work and yes it is a 70 jimmy

4. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

Clocking it is when you remove the bolts holding the alternator case together, then just spin the halves until they line up where you want them. just remember NOT to pull the halves apart, it is a real pain to get them back together.

5. 70jimmy

Ok put the alternator on. Still does the same thing. After 5 inutes running volts drop to 5.. I have not clocked it. Would that have anything to do with this problem.

What I have done:
    1. Put on one wire alternator for 76 chevy which is what the motor is anyway.

2. Hooked up wire that used to go on the post on the post of the new one.

3. Jumped it and ran fine over a few minutes voltage drops all accessories get dim or non working.

Questions:
    1. I was told nothing needed to be hooked up from the old plug just the wire that was on the post. Is this correct? I have heard people talk about running a jumper wire from one of the plugs to the post? This alternator has a cover over the plug area but I assume the plugs are still there.

2. Old alternator was tested and found faulty with no output. This new one wire alternator has the voltage regulator in it correct. So can I disconnect the external regulator which is located on the radiator core support by the drivers side headlights.

3. I did check all fuses in fuse block all are ok. when jumped all accessories work fine for a few minutes.

Thanks for any and all help.

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

It could be the battery pull it out and take it to the parts store and see if they can check it out for ya.(bad cell in the battery)

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

If your battery is trashed, or the charge wire that goes from the alt. to the battery is broken, or shorted out to ground, it will cause the alternator to peg its output cause it thinks that the battery is dead. This will blow the regulator. Mayby you have to isolate the charging problem before you try any more new alts. cause you will just continue to smoke the regulators. Take the battery out to the shop and get them to test it, the new alt as well and see where the prob lies.
    Mike

8. 70jimmy

Problem solved: Bad Battery. Thanks for the input. Oh well got an upgrade on the alternator, new cables, and a new battery. All needed to be replaced sometime soon anyway. Hmm if I tell the wife its the engine and it needs a 454??????