Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

One word for Solo tire-rack installation...(pics)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rogerwilco71, Oct 25, 2002.

1. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

...DAMN!!!!! but done /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[​IMG]

the one time I read the instructions /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and they fail me.
    This next pic shows how everything was going for me:

[​IMG]

The order of install should be reversed--tail-lamp hinge install first, then tailgate. I love the instructions too--" remove panel and just install bracket in the sub-panel"---WHAT!! I'm no magition, but it's nearly impossible to line up and keep the threaded bracket in place while intslling the plate from outside...and it ended up getting lost in the sub-panel of the tailgate (like.5" and 2.5' across and 1' tall). To remedy that flub-up, I went ahead and drilled completly through the sub-panel and installed some low-profile carriage bolts (so not to bind with the window rails):
    [​IMG]
    For the bracket on the top of the tailgate I sodered a rod(or you could use thick wire) to it, and slid it through the sub panel...DIDN'T LOSE THAT ONE!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    BTW the brackets for the tail-lamp area don't quite fit the same on the inside, so I had to use a .5" drill bit for some play before I tightened the whole assembly.

With help, I would've still had these set backs, so when you install one, hang the hinges first, then bracket the tailgate (one hole to line vs 2 perfect hinges). AND definetly soder some rods to the inner-brackets ofthe tailgate (with soder you can just wiggle and brake it off when the bolts are in).

LOL- I've actually lifted trucks and delivered the shafts to the driveline shop quicker than this !*$#@* thing was to install.
    CYA, work calls /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I got the same one 2 years ago, what a p.i.t.a.. Say does your window hit the bolts on the bottom of the gate? mine does, and the quarter that the upper hinge bolts to got distorted when I tightened the bolts.
    Matt

3. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

My has been never ending problems.....the weight of the spare tire causes the tailgate to rattle. I put heim joints on the joints where it bolts onto the body to give it some flex. I agree....PITA!
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Danny

4. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

No, I have about .25" clearence. Nothing seemed to get distorted either, except I was supposed to cut-out the lower piece of trim for the tailgate bracket, but since it's a soft surface andwill be taking most of the weight (instead of real chrome /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif) it worked like a gasket so I left it. I really don't like the feeling of metal on metal, so I'll probably make some custom gaskets.

I'm Matt too!

5. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I didnt get any tailgate noise, and the hinges seem to be doing all right.
    The rubber molding thing seemed like a good idea but I cut mine over all it looks pretty good.

Matt

" Your mama was in the klan once, she looked like an iceberg with legs"

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

LOL, my friend has a carrier like that on his bronco 2 nd one time he got stuck while we were mudding. I didn't have a tow strap and we had to be somewhere in like 15 minutes so our only option was to ram him. I didn't want to FUBAR his bronco so I let him drive my suburban and another guy drove his bronco and he had to ram it REALLY hard to get it out. After it was all over the mounting point on the rear door where the tire carrier attaches had broken completely thru the fiberglass it was mounted on. He hates the thing anyway so we thought it was funny as hell... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Another instance of a chevy gettin a ferd out...