Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Online Garage Plans

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Apr 6, 2004.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Anyone here ever purchased house/garage plans online?

I'm sure it's cheaper than hiring an architect, but I'm also pretty sure that anything you would buy online would have to be tweaked to comply with local building codes, right?

I want to put up a garage this year or early next year /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif and I'm trying to decide on the best, least amount of hassle, way to go.

Or, does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I don't know about cali, but here in oregon, if you build a pole building(even with a concrete floor)you don't need a building permit which saves you about $1000 right off the bat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudgirl1972

mudgirl1972 Registered Member

i know alot of people who have got garage plans and the supplies from home depot or menards or places like that and they really like them, they don't look cheezy or anything.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed, get a miracle truss or some other kinda steel building... cheaper/easier.

j

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know about cali, but here in oregon, if you build a pole building(even with a concrete floor)you don't need a building permit which saves you about $1000 right off the bat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This would probably not be an issue if I didn't live in the middle of town. I need/want something that is going to "go" with my house.

[ QUOTE ]
    i know alot of people who have got garage plans and the supplies from home depot or menards or places like that and they really like them, they don't look cheezy or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that Home Depot had pre-made plans... I'll have to check it out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    agreed, get a miracle truss or some other kinda steel building... cheaper/easier

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably cheaper in some ways, but I would still need a building permit (anything over 80 sq.ft. requires a building permit). Can you modify the plans for these? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I know a way around the building permit since you have an existing structure...

You "Rebuild/Repair" no more than 1/2 of the existing garage at one time. Basically build a new wall outside of the old garage so you are basically just moving the wall over a few inches. Then after all the walls are slowly moved over and a new roof is in place you tear down the old garage inside the new one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

A friend of my dad did this to an old corn crib and converted it into a shop... Then put on additions under the size required for a building permit to make it larger. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I PMd ya cuz I have what you want... But you don't need it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif