Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

onstar = big brother?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Aug 29, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

few days ago I saw something like Car and Driver or some show like that discussing On Star. It seemed like a paid ad by GM(only the best things to say) but it was in the middle of a real show so who knows. Anyway one guy actually said "Onstar can read your codes when a check engine soon light comes on and report back to you if its a big or little problem. On star is like Big Brother." And that was it, no, and thats scary, he seemed happy about the idea of having some big brother watching over him. Sorry I don't care if it will tell me when I need to check my oil, I do that enough by myself man. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

oh I started thinking about this cause my buddy went "mudding" in his 04 1500 and it has On Star. He has some weird driveline vibe thing going that was there before he went off road but he was saying how he wondered if somehting like Onstar could tell he went off road and void his warranty or blame it all on that. I'm sure they wouldn't do that right now but it wouldn't surprise me to hear of that someday.

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

excactly brother. easyrider did a story on it back i 91 (i think) and they can shut your car down if they want.you can't even out run them with it. like he said in the article(let e'm try and stop my 59). /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

yea at my school UTI we've been heading about OBD 3, its just like onstar but more powerfull....can the satalite pick stuf up thought a few inches of lead? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Welcome to the fill up the 78 K30 with guns and cigarettes and ride off into the sunset era

"Hello Sir, This Is Onstar, We Have Detected And Extreme Tilt To Your Vehicle, Do You Need Assistance?"

"Go [censored] yourself"

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have been listening a lot to talk radio www.971talk.com lately, and they have the On Star ads where you hear the caller and On Star talking.... Anyway, these ads really annoy me because they employ the element of fear to get subscribers. I don't like being "scared" into something.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Fishing for the weak!

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The thing with onstar that is cool is that if you want to disable the module you simply unplug it, viola, your are no longer traceable by it. While on the other hand, for about 5 years now most vehicles with airbags record the data onto the SDM at the time of the crash, they can tell you how fast you were going, if you were braking, or turning, basically anything they want to know about that happened to the vehicle during the crash. pretty scary if you ask me.

8. boggerless

i forgot about that /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif dammm /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. boggerless

i've told a butt load of people about big brother.you know they can watch you through your TV.especially with the new HD ones.and the V chip.speaking of chips the one they put in your pet (for safety, we can find it for you).is just a way to get it into us,they are already talking about children. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif a freind at work told me they can't watch through the TV /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif what about the video phone???????? they can get a picture trough the cheezy little phone lines,what makes you think they can't do it trough cable? coax man.and now sattlelite?? we even sell a base for sattlelite so the intaller doesn't cause a roof leak.!!!! WAKE UP KIDS... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

watching through the tv is a bit crazy. Its a tube with picturezs on it. Video phones have a camera you look at buddy, there could be but I doubt there is a camera in your tv. Smash it and find out. Hell go the store and start smashing them all, let me know which ones have cameras and which don't /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

all this homeland security stuff really scares me. It seems to have died down a bit but around 9/11 people seemed almost willing to let Big Brother in just for a little more safety. I'm sorry it may be wrong but I'd rather have a terrorist attack happen than the government critique everything I type on my computer or say in my home. the more of that kind of crap that we have the less likely we are to be able to control the government if they wanted to turn on us. If our government did that kind of stuff and wanted to go dictatorship what could we do to stop them? Fight back with guns? how we'd sit there planning an attack and they'd know everything. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    all this homeland security stuff really scares me. It seems to have died down a bit but around 9/11 people seemed almost willing to let Big Brother in just for a little more safety. I'm sorry it may be wrong but I'd rather have a terrorist attack happen than the government critique everything I type on my computer or say in my home. the more of that kind of crap that we have the less likely we are to be able to control the government if they wanted to turn on us. If our government did that kind of stuff and wanted to go dictatorship what could we do to stop them? Fight back with guns? how we'd sit there planning an attack and they'd know everything. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how I've felt for the last 10 or 15 years... Ever since I understood the concept of the FBI, I figured it wouldn't be hard for them to watch me without me knowing, and I've never liked that feeling.

About the onstar thing, one thing that irks the crap outta me about thier ads is how they're trying to replace 911. I heard one where a lady calls up and says "Yeah, I found a little girl about 2 years old wandering around my neighborhood" "Hold on maam, we'll call 911 and give them your location".
    Now how dumb is the lady who called Onstar INSTEAD of 911?? I'm thinking, geez, it's hard enough getting people to call 911 for emergencies, now Onstar's getting in the way??

Onstar is a frightening thing to me. I don't like the idea of technology that can close in on me so quickly. I have no intention of breaking the law, but we all know that law enforcement can make mistakes and target the wrong person, I sure don't wana be that wrong person with Onstar...

13. boggerless

see, i'm with you, bro. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. ugly_blazer

And On Star can unlock you car if you are locked out. That will be great when the On Star system has a problem and automatically unlocks everyone's vehicles nationwide /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. boggerless

hey buddy,how old is your TV?? tubes?? i'm not talking about the new cell phones,i'm talking about HOME phones do you still live with your parents?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifa coax cable work's both ways.wake up and see the real world. sounds like you want a controled government,then you can blame someone else for your problems. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    wake up and see the real world.

[/ QUOTE ]

take your own advice. you're starting to remind me of my senile 90+ year old grandfather. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

17. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Pretty soon all new cars will come with a On Star ready system even if you don't want it, then when you speed they will just send you a ticket because they can tell how fast you are going with GPS. People are so stupid that they like having "Big Brother" watching out for them.
    I'll pass on giving them any way to track me. Even new Nextel phones come with GPS tracking so you can see were your employees have been and for how long. I thought about it for some problem employees but then I smacked myself in the head and said "WTF you want to be like Big Brother..... Dumb A$$"
    Watch out because there is more ways they can track you then you think. Not that they would have any reason to track me but I just don't like it and if it got into the wrong hands /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Wait, maybe it already is????/???

18. ugly_blazer

We live in a society where many people have been convinced that they are weak. Too many people don't feel secure in any situation, that's why they like big brother to be there.

Have you ever seen the movie "Demolition Man"? I think that is the name of it, it has Wesley Snipes and Sly Stallone I think. Anyway, remember the scene where Sly was using profanity and you could hear a computerized voice over a loudspeaker saying something to the extent of 'you are in violation of code $^*!@^ and will be fined $???', that doesn't seem too far from reality any more. And Taco Bell was the only fast food joint left, just like how soon Wal-Mart will be the only place to shop. I can see a day when we won't be able to use profanity on our phones without getting a ticket in the mail, or probably e-mail - the government will mandate that everyone buys a computer and must conduct all legal business on it so they can have another way of monitoring our every move. That is not far away, the FCC has already talked about regulating cable, satellite tv, and internet service.

www.walmartwatch.com

19. Resurrection_Joe

On that note

[censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored]

"John Spartan you are fined one credit for violation of the verbal morality code of 2037"

Anyway, people are weak these days

I think the problem is, as I have heard quoted somewhere, is that todays youth do not know evil, they do not know suffering, they do not know responsibility, and they do not know pain.

It's peaking, soon there will be a large breaking reality

20. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

newer cell phones are set up so they can be tracked by the 911 system.