Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oooo it rides soooo smooth

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Jan 29, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Got the 52's done up front finally. Got the big 'ol shocks mounted too, and fixed my tie rod. But damn, it rides sooooo much smoother than before and has Less! body roll than before with the cheapy shocks and aftermarket 4" lift springs. Which is funny cause these springs are a lot softer. I'll post some picture tommorrow in the daylight.

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Good deal! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Which brand lift springs did you use? Can't wait to see the pics!

Kris

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im using stock rears. Truck still sits too high for my tastes, but its ok. When I get my custom springs made I will sit at around 4" of lift if not less. I got 4" of lift from the springs and another 1" from the shackle so I have about 5" of lift total.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Pictures and LOTS OF THEM PLEASE!!!!!

I'll take them posted, emailed, faxed, pack muled, any way you want to send them out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

So your running the swayaways up front???

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Got the 52's done up front finally. Got the big 'ol shocks mounted too, and fixed my tie rod. But damn, it rides sooooo much smoother than before and has Less! body roll than before with the cheapy shocks and aftermarket 4" lift springs. Which is funny cause these springs are a lot softer. I'll post some picture tommorrow in the daylight.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHERE'S THE PICS!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

do the brand of springs really make that much diff?

I have pro comp springs, and pro comp es3000 dual shocks up front, it rides a lil better but doesnt soak up much on the pavement

Im wondering if i should have gone with diff brand of shocks/springs?

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's the pics!

I have been following his progress and want to use the idea of longer springs. I still can't believe the amount of flex he's getting with the leaf springs.

9. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

that is awsome. i just bent the hell out of my 4"tuffcuntry springs (only like the 3rd time out). i think i might try that i have some old rear springs laying around here some where.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's the pics!

I have been following his progress and want to use the idea of longer springs. I still can't believe the amount of flex he's getting with the leaf springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You gonna stick with leafs for the time being then?

BTW, where are YOUR updated project pics /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

My updated project pics are right here:

How do you like them? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

That empty space is basically my progress. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yeah, I think I am sticking with some leaf springs for now.

56" up front and 63" in the back.

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My updated project pics are right here:

How do you like them? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

That empty space is basically my progress. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yeah, I think I am sticking with some leaf springs for now.

56" up front and 63" in the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those look JUST LIKE mine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Blazer is back in the garage torn apart again /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    56 in the front and 63 in the back huh, sounds about righ tto me, with the big axles, you ARE looking at some kind of axlewrap protection, right?

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

What's going on with yours?

Yep, the need for axle wrap protection is vital. Steve S. suggested having one or two more leaves added like the military wrap springs.

14. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I will work on some more pictures this weekend. Now I just need to start on fitting the 63's in the rear, and mounting some shocks through the bed.

O yeah I have no axle wrap with these front springs, and the truck has less body roll than before with the old Dick Cepek 4" front springs and cheapo shocks. Ive driven up to the mountain 3 times in the last week and it handles waayyy better than before.

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What's going on with yours?

Yep, the need for axle wrap protection is vital. Steve S. suggested having one or two more leaves added like the military wrap springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had to guess, I'd bet he would know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm anxious to see your finished product.

I blew the low reverse sprag out of the tranny. It's back in Owasso getting even MORE beefy parts added. Dropped it off today. Alan is going to see about making it even more bombproof. He's got some new bits and pieces he wants to play with and I guess my tranny is going to be the one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I need to ask you a quick question, will drop the email over shortly /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will work on some more pictures this weekend. Now I just need to start on fitting the 63's in the rear, and mounting some shocks through the bed.

O yeah I have no axle wrap with these front springs, and the truck has less body roll than before with the old Dick Cepek 4" front springs and cheapo shocks. Ive driven up to the mountain 3 times in the last week and it handles waayyy better than before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I just need to get started on mine. Good to see the simplicity of it working. I Love cheap (relatively) upgrades that warrent those kind of gains...

17. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Do you have crossover yet? And are you ready to have the front axle moved forward 2" and make a new bumper? Cause thats what I had to do to get the springs under the front of mine. Not to scare you off or anything, but just lettin you know ahead of time so you dont get caught off gaurd when swappin the springs in.

18. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you have crossover yet? And are you ready to have the front axle moved forward 2" and make a new bumper? Cause thats what I had to do to get the springs under the front of mine. Not to scare you off or anything, but just lettin you know ahead of time so you dont get caught off gaurd when swappin the springs in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going down your list,

No on the crossover, that's the only snag at this time.
    Moved forward? Yep
    New Bumper? Just tweaked my old/new bumper. Gotta break out the welder again anyway.

I read through all the things that gave you grief and frankly, other than the crossover, that's not bad. My front drive shaft is already toast, so I need a longer one anyway. My steering box is worn out, been waiting to get a new one. Looks like it all might come together at the right time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif