Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ooooh...you ALL have to read this...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 89GMCSuburban, Jan 25, 2006.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

L.A. Times writer defends incendiary Iraq column

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Los Angeles Times columnist who infuriated conservatives by writing that he does not support American troops fighting in Iraq -- and calling those who do "wusses" -- stood by the article on Tuesday.
    Joel Stein said he has been "bombarded" by hate mail over the incendiary article -- which was headlined "Warriors and Wusses" and held that U.S. soldiers in Iraq were "ignoring their morality" -- but does not regret writing it and stands by the premise.
    "I don't support what they are doing, and I don't the see point of putting a big yellow magnet on your car if you don't," Stein told Reuters in an interview. "I don't think (soldiers) are necessarily bad people. I do plenty of things that are wrong too. But I don't agree with what they are doing so I don't see the logic of supporting it."
    The article, which ran on the Times opinion page on Tuesday, was quickly linked on conservative sites across the Internet, where readers poured scorn on Stein, on the newspaper and on liberals in general.
    "If I ever run into the a**hole, I'm going to knock his frickin' block off," one man wrote on the Little Green Footballs Web site, one of nearly 500 people who had commented on the article by mid-afternoon.
    Conservative columnist Michelle Malkin quickly nominated Stein as "one of the most loathsome people in America." The Irish Pennants site slammed him as "slime" but gave credit for honesty, adding: "At least he is straightforward slime."

A Times spokesman said he could not immediately determine how many complaints the newspaper had received or if any readers had canceled subscriptions.
    Stein said that, despite the fact that his e-mail address was not made public by the paper, he had received some 100 "hate e-mails" by noon.
    "They're telling me to leave the country, which sounded good at first because I thought they meant a vacation. But they didn't mean a vacation," he said. The columnist said he suspected the reaction was largely fueled by the Web sites, adding: "My guess is that it will die down pretty quickly."
    Stein said he had long considered the issue and that whenever a politician opposes the war but supports the troops "I just always think they are covering their ass." Asked if he had regrets, he said: "No, because I'm against the war. (I have no regrets) if this helps us get out of that war and bring our troops home safely."

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

May his armpits and groin be infested with the flies of a 1000 camels.

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

What a cryin' shame. I wonder exactly what that e-mail is? :thinking:

4. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

I think people like this should be given, by us taxpayers, a one way all expense paid trip out of the country, citizenship revoked and you are never allowed back in. Not even for a visit. I know I would give some extra tax dollars to the "Get Out of the Country and Don't Come Back" fund.

5. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I don't support Liberals. I don't agree with what they are doing, so I don't support them. And, I'm not gonna stop what I'm saying until every one of them is deported to a Third World Country for a year.

Then every last one will be like "eww, I totally had to poopie in a can with no toilet paper", "I can't believe they drew and quartered Dirk for being gay", "gross, I had to milk my own goat to stay alive", and my favorite, "mass graves are stinky".

If you don't support the people who protect you, I believe you waive your right to protection.

Al

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

That pesky 1st amendment...

7. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Okay. I am by no means a liberal and find that just about most of them are complete idiots. But he does have his right to have an opinion. Even if it's a very bad one.

Deport him or kill him because of his views? Isn't that kinda the reason of why we're in Iraq - because Saddam had the habit of killing people who dissagreed with him?

I don't want to start a political war, so this will be my only post. I just thought it rathar hypocritical some of the things I see.

8. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

If this scumbag had been saying this stuff during WWII, he'd have been executed for treason or sedition. There IS a line, and he crossed it. That 1st Amendment stuff only flies so far.

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

How did he cross "that line"? He is not threatening anyone or advocating rebellion, hes just another pantywaste liberal attention whore pissing and moaning to whoever will listen. I have a theory that articles like this are perpetrated by psychologists studying public reaction to obviously assinine statements.

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Everyone has the right to be a complete ass, you just don't HAVE to exercise that right. I guess I'm glad I have the right to hope he gets his ass beat.