Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OOPS... Engine fire!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by kennyw, Feb 12, 2003.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Started tinkering on my new 1986 S10 last night. I was cleaning the throttle body off with cheap walmart carb cleaner on a cold engine.

After that I searched for a leak in the clutch master cylinder for a while. Found it was leaking into the cab.

Decided to fire up the truck and spray carb cleaner into the trottle body to clean the inside out. But being a cold night with a cold engine the carb cleaner I sprayed earlier had not evaporated off but rather must have puddled on the intake manifold.

It lit off right away and took a bucket of water to put out... Melted all the vacuum lines on the TBI, injector wires, and one injector. Luckily minor damage but turned a running truck in to a non-running truck very quickly.

If anyone is parting out a TBI 2.8L motor let me know.

2. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Oh no, I feel for you. Just the word engine fire gives me the chills after my engine fire rebuild. I hope you get it going soon. What a pain that must have been.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about the fire, glad to hear you didn't get caught in it!

Been there, done that, don't wanna do it again!

I keep one of these handy now:

[​IMG]

Cheap insurance.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

well, i guess if you're going to burn an engine it may as well be a 2.8 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif drop in a 4.3. or better yet a small block. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

glad you weren't hurt

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OHHHHHHH small block, YES!

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

dont know of any 2.8's... but the 3800 thats in the Buick, Pontiac, Chevy are supposedly a pretty sweet deal, used ones are relatively cheap. with roller rockers, roller lifters & a roller cam stock they are a pretty sweet little motor. they run them blown in the Regal GS and the GTP. They are around 400.00 without the blower and $700.00 with. Used @ http://www.spaldingautoparts.com/

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I know of a 2.8l out of a Corsica. I'm unsure of the similaritys between the two, but if you think it would work then let me know and I'll see how much he wants for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Ok, it wasnt that bad of an engine fire... Just cost me $12 at a wrecking yard for part of a wiring harness and some vacuum lines and I have it running again.

I got the truck for free and dont have the $$$ to put in a small block yet /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I did that once in a 1985 GMC S15 4x4 once and got better gas mileage with the 350 than the original 2.8L (both had 700R4's behind them).

My end plan is to put a 1948-55 GMC pickup body on the S10 chassis with a V6 TBI motor and S10 5 spd. The rear axle is already a 4.10 ratio (must have been swapped from a 4 banger S10?). But all of this will be YEARS down the road