Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oops! I brok the D60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coloradoblazers, Nov 3, 2002.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hmmm, I was doing some night wheeling, and I was backing up around when I heard a loud bang. My clinometer was beyond its measuring range, so it was a bit steep, necessary for 4x4. I got stuck because only a rear wheel was spinning. the front driveshaft WAS turning, and I just put new hubs on so I reached in the knuckle and turned the axelshaft. I could hear it grinding in the pumpkin as I turend it. I am thinking I blew the spider gear, but didn't have time to pull the cover. Any ideas? If it is something easy, no prob, but if it is the carrier, or something big, it might be the excuse I need to put a locker in. I would love an OX, but not at the current prices. I only need 4 wheel in the snow/trail. Would a detroit really be a pain to turn with, or since it only would affect it in 4x4 range could it still be streetable? Who knew a tired 305 could bust a dana 60?
    Thanks for all the help! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Anyway, after a little adventure(read: dangerous, scary, not fun) I met back up with the trail a little bit lower.
    Thanks, Jake /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Whoa, I've never thought of that before, is it true about the Detroit? Will it only affect your steering when in 4?

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

With lock outs a Detroit will not affect your street driving when unlocked /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'd put my money on an axleshaft that's busted off very close to the splines. If you busted the spiders You'd have to break them all into tiny bits to make the axleshaft turn freely.</font color>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm with Shaggy. THe D60 Diff and carrier are pretty stout. I think you snapped the axle shaft at the splines. You wouldn't get any drive at all if that were the case since it's an open axle.