Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oops I'm a rebel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 23, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oops I\'m a rebel

K5 is sitting in the garage now with a front axle finally. Put my spare D44 under it just to get it in the garage. bought the crap blocks at Pep Boys just for the u bolts. I threw one on the driveway and it chipped /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. Anyway my K5's bumper at the highest point is about 34". PA legal is 30", and thats only with my 32s. Any other bumper height law breakers?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re: oops I\'m a rebel

Yep. Im not sure how far over I am but I am. I gave up caring several yrs ago. I got a written warning on my last rig and never had any problems after that so I dont worry about it. To be honest I have never looked up the #s for the Blazer. I just know I am over. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

My Blazer my be stock and have 32's but I passed the bumper hight in MN, the legal limet on any for wheel drive truck is 20in's (weak), welll i beat it buy a wopping 2in's /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My bumpers are 30/34 from the ground, legal is 27/29 for this GVWR. New bumpers will fix it. I have a 6" and 38.5s.

5. Pure Insanity

Bumper laws are a joke IMO. If I can grab the end of my bumper and twist it around its worthless. Stock bumpers are junk, so I dont see what the difference is at any height. LOL!

When I got popped a few yrs ago I started twisting the bumper ends around and lite punching the ends and showing the officer how they bounced around. Then kicked the snot out of the tire and said "See, these are MUCH stronger!" I prob wouldnt have been so cocky if I didnt know the cop. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

I heard that bumper laws are basically for pedestrian safety. when you hit someone, the bumper is designed to be below the knee, thus breaking the leg at an easier point to heal (than above or at the knee)

7. Pure Insanity

OK maybe, but if you get hit by a 5-6000 pound truck, your odds are real good either way. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Ive always been told its to keep cars out from under you.

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

bumper law in louisiana is the bottom of thr bumper must be below 43" from the ground. and im not kidding. is this a redneck state or what?

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I heard that bumper laws are basically for pedestrian safety. when you hit someone, the bumper is designed to be below the knee, thus breaking the leg at an easier point to heal (than above or at the knee)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that if you t-bone someone your bumper being lower will hit the door of there car, where it's strongest, and not through the window into the drivers or passengers head...

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

im at 39" front and rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Later

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    bumper law in louisiana is the bottom of thr bumper must be below 43" from the ground. and im not kidding. is this a redneck state or what?

[/ QUOTE ]Damn,I am moving there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]WHOOHOOO! LOUSEYANNA HERE I COME! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

you don't have to go that far. alabama has no lift laws. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif althought the max. height of vehicle must be less that 13.5'. that's so you can drive under overpasses. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tech/97-lift-laws/lift-laws.html

14. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

This is what I found for Texas:

Laws concern lighting but not bumper height or even lift blocks. The headlamps must be mounted between 24 and 54 inches from the ground, the taillamps between 15 and 72, and foglamps between 12 and 30.

I found it here: Lift Laws

So I guess you could remount your lights low and go as high as you want here....and I've seem some big ones, too.

15. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

PA law states that front bumper on a SUV must be 28" or lower from the bottom of the bumper. Rear must measure 30" or lower.

16. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I don't know what the bumper height law is in Ohio. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I should, I got pulled over by a state cop, who wrote me a written warning on the height of the truck, and then slapped a $100 fine on me for not wearing my seat belt! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Last week, my rear brakes failed in traffic, and I rearended a Chevy S10 Blazer. My truck sits so high, I knocked the glass out of the Blazers lift gate window. The local police never said a word about the height of the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Honestly, I feel that as long as a rig is lifted safely and properly (mine is) lift laws are BS. I don't care what the law says about them, I'll go as long as I can. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

17. dill

dill Registered Member

the person in the Corvette you rear end or T-bone at 65 mph might feel different /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah and the way my front bumper looks they will comment. Oh well when I get the MT/Rs on there it will be higher.

19. Pure Insanity

If you hit a Vette w/ a stock truck youll go over. Vettes are MOL death traps IMO.

20. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

new mexico has light laws only 54 " bottom of headlights and 72" to bottom of tailights /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif any body have the link to the lift laws for each state ????? I'm moving back to minnesota in march /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif