Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Open element air cleaner

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by cybrfire, Jun 12, 2005.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Built an open element air filter top and bottom for the 6.2 the other day and put them on. Wow, is that loud. Sounds like a carbeurated engine with the 4's open all the time. Didn't really expect the sound change but Oh well. I doubt that it will make much of a difference if any in the mileage department. Probably needs a better exhaust system to take full advantage of the increased air flow.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did the same for my 6.2 a while back...and was so happy to put a stock filter housing back on it. It was really loud!

Rene

3. cybrfire

I think I may try to live with it and see how some dyna matt will effect the sound into the cab. I'm starting to rip the interior out anyhow. Was doing the rect. tube rocker panel fix and the cancer went deeper so as all projects this one has gone from rockers to everything inside anyway! Might as well throw the dyna matt in while I'm there.

4. tRustyK5

So how is dyna mat for being water proof?

Rene

5. cybrfire

It's probably like a sponge! :grin:

Seriously I don't have a clue. My tow rig hopefully will never see water but you could be.

6. tRustyK5

I wouldn't mind some sound deadening for my Jimmy, but I would like it to be somewhat impervious to water. The factory jute underlay is something I feel greatly contributes to floor rot. It gets wet and just stays that way forever...I'd hate to install some sound deadening only to find it does the same thing.

Rene

7. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dynamat is rubbery, so it's not that porous. I haven't soaked mine in a creek, but I don't believe that it would hang on to water at all like jute.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine is loud too...

My 6.2 in the 82 K20 is loud too--the snorkle hose from the aircleaner to the grille is missing--its pretty annoying with even just that part missing...my truck has dual exhaust,not sure what kind of mufflers(they appear stock,might be "Midas" mufflers,they have "diamonds" stamped in the shells,like many of theirs do)..anyhow, I hear the intake more than the exhaust!..it has a healthy rumble from the tailpipes to..

..My truck still has 90% of all the "sound deadener" on the firewall and in the cab,and its still kinda noisy...I might rip out the hood insulation--its all soaked with sludge,and I always get it on my head every time I'm under the hood!..probably keeping it from rotting though...I'm afraid it might be a fire hazard,but it does not seem to burn--I yanked some out and tried lighting it on the ground..the sludge burns,but the insulation must be fibreglass? :crazy:

I took the air cleaner off once and went for a drive,--no way could I stand listening to that all day!..not that I'd run without it anyway!...after not driving my diesel much since it stopped snowing,I finally took off the plow the other day and drove it awhile to charge the batteries--I hadn't realized just HOW noisy it really is,compared to my 79 C10 with a 305 and single exhaust!!..I guess snow absorbs a lot of the racket!..

9. tRustyK5

I understood the underhood insulation served two purposes. One was sound deadening, and the other was as a fire retardant. A fire would melt the clasps and the mat would drop onto the engine hopefully supressing the fire. Of course if it was soaked in grease I'm not sure how well that would work.

I have no underhood stuff, nothing on the firewall, nothing on the floors either. No snorkle hose either...

Conversation in my truck is near impossible on the freeway...

Rene

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

My truck is about the same right now... you can have a conversation, but you will go hoarse very quick.

11. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Don't know if you have thought of this..but there is a spray on dynamat, and also another company that makes a roll on sound deadner..can't remember the name though..but a few years back when i was big into lowered trucks and stereo competions i strpped my interior and used the spay on dynamat..it worked great and didn't hold the water..reminded my a lot of "rhino" type liners..but was for sound deadening

just my .02

12. tRustyK5

Interesting, you don't happen to remember what it was called or have a link do you?

Rene

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Put a Cone K&N and turbo charger with a straight pipe...then you will gain the status of the "Loud Truck" :grin:

14. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Turbos muffle the exhaust alot. A straight piped N/a 6.2 is MUCH louder than a turbo straight piped one.

15. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

yeah, my old C10 had mufflers on dual exhaust it was louder then my K10, but my tip on the K10 makes it Cackle really loud, its the loudest of all my buddys trucks, well was, my friend calvin has a 02, 2500HD with a 6.0 Liter dual exhaust(3 inch i think) with 4 inch tips, and NO mufflers at all :grin:

16. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was very surprised at how quiet my 6.2 was while it was straight piped. The dual tiny-pipe exhaust dumping just before the transfer case sounded like a Flowmastered 40 series big-block. I ran that setup for about one hour before yanking the rest of the system off and completing the turbo install.

It was actually louder after we put on the turbo and just had the downpipe run for initial testing. Maybe both sides of the exhaust run into a single exit play a role here. It was sweet music. :cool1: