Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

open element air filter?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jp0863, Feb 12, 2006.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

anyone run an open element like a k&n? part numbers? i was thinking there has to be some way to get more air into the motor. the stock aircleaner seems way too restrictive with that little hole in there to let in air to the intake. any idea's?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I ran an open element for a while...fockin loud!!! I really don't recomend it. Better to build a cold air intake through a large snorkel IMO.

Rene

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

aside from the noise, what other reservations do you have regarding it?

4. tRustyK5

Other than the noise you're also loosing power by taking in hot underhood air, rather than ducted cool air...

Trust me though, the noise is reason enough. :crazy:

Rene

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Honestly the noise never bothered me. When cruising along i dont think it was any louder than the TSL's howling down the interstate. I didnt notice any real power increase, but i did get less smoke under hard acceleration which meant more air was getting into the motor.

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok - so if you had to pick between these two (until i get the opportunity to run a cold air intake/snorkle), would you run the open air filter or the standard one? i don't have the hose which runs the intake to cold air - it was missing when i go the truck. just the filter box on top of the engine with a little hole in it. seems an open air filter would be an improvment in this case.

7. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I don't think that it's a good enough reason. If I wanted a quiet truck, I would have bought something else. Besides, it can't be any louder than my bike with gutted pipes.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Just flip the lid on your stock filter housing. Much cheaper and same effect. Thats the way my truck is right now, until I build a snorkel. Actually the reason I flipped the lid was to clear my fuel filter... I cant hear **** over the actuall motor, exhaust and truck rattling anyway, but its my trail truck, not DD.

9. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hmmm, maybe the snorkle route needs to be tried..... with bigger openings in the stock filter housing.

10. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Open elements suck...in the mud. As soon as I can I want to take a couple of stock air cleaners, cut the nozzel off one and add it to the other so that I have more air, but also more protection. The first time you go romping through some mud and the clutch fan blows it all straight into that nice clean open element, you'll be thinking about snokels and the likes...or at least that's what happened to me.

11. tRustyK5

My truck isn't quiet by anyones definition, and yet the open element annoyed me enough that I gladly chucked the stocker back on top of it. 39.5" TSL's and the 6.2 spinning at 2700 rpm, plus no carpet...forget talking to anyone while driving, and might as well chuck the CB out the window cuz you can't hear it anyways.

Rene

12. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

You know what they say "if it's too loud, you're too old!" :D

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I think a big part of your excessive noise Rene is that your truck is a conversion. Even though the firewall sound deadening on the factory diesel trucks doesnt look like much, it does make a difference in the in cab nosie levels. I also ran with no carpeting, and while it was loud you could still have a conversation with the person sitting in the passenger seat, so long as my stereo was off and windows were up. Arround town was no issue, at least compared to running down the interstate.

14. tRustyK5

Yes I am too old... :doah: and Joe you're most likely right, I completely forgot about that insulation that my truck doesn't have.

Rene

15. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

what about welding the lid to the bottom, and running a solid tube over to the fender with a K&N bolt on filter element, like a CAI??

anyone want to be the first to test my idea?

16. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

When I build my snorkel I'm going to make a plenum (no filter) to go over the intake and rout the pvc pipe through the cowl and have a cone filter at the top of the snorkel.