Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Open element air filters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pplblazerdude, Jan 25, 2004.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

If i put a open element air filter would it more pron to pull water in the the stock one. I do some mudding nuthin to deep. And also those k@n wrap things for the dirt will they help with water if it gets sprayed up that way so my engine doesnt suck it in.

Thanks
    clint

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Open element is *probably* a little more likely to ingest water if you are throwing it up with the tires. (running through pits and what not)

Stock type can have a problem if you get water up high enough that it completely covers the air inlet. As it's set up though, the air inlet on the core support isn't much lower than where an open element would be, so the difference isn't going to be huge.

If you don't plow water/mud with the upper part of the core support, the stock snorkel should be more than adequate. You make more power with cooler air, open elements don't have that benefit. You can always "dual snorkel" the stock air cleaner setups, since the factory core support (at least '81-86) used a drivers side inlet for the I6 motors, which is a knockout piece on V8 trucks.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

In my experience, open element filters are less desireable for off roading. I initially ran a 14x3 open element K&N. It got dirty FAST. I later came across a 14x5 air cleaner off of a Blazer. I installed a 14x5 Amsoil 2 stage oiled foam filter and could not be happier with it. Foam stops the most dirt, then paper, oiled cotton is last.

4. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

so are you saying if i put one of the kan pre filter wrap thingys on it will help.And would a k@n filter be good for this setup.

Thanks
    Clint

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The pre wrap will help. I know when I used to mud race, I pretty much ruined a filter with every event. The pre wrap might help it shed water. I know I was thinking of putting on a closed element just for filter protection.

6. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I have been running a 6" k&n for a while and have never had any problems with water or mud. The last time i was out wheelin i had water 2" up on the element and it didnt suck any water into the inside of the element. I do however clean the element after every trail ride. This keeps it clean and i think it keeps the element oiled up and repelling the water.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I have a open K&N on my truck and have had NO problem at all, But I run full innerfenders. I also have one on my 4wheeler along with a pre wrap and it helps repel the light water and keeps a good amount of loose dusty sand out
    My prefilter was one of those thin black ones they also have the foam ones that might help alot more if your just covering your filter in mud and water

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I just started creating an airbox tonight. It will be able to hold any diameter element up to 14" diameter. 3" tall elements only. Hopefully in a couple days pics will be posted.

9. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

sorry for the highjacking question but for those that are running closed elements where are you running the hoses to? If you run it too the front you risk water injestion and if you run it to the fenderwells you're picking up dirt so where else?