Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Open exhaust for 6.2L

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by surg82k5, Apr 23, 2001.

1. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about just running open exhaust on my 6.2L. Has anyone been running their 6.2L like this. I do not worry about the noise. Any one know the pros and cons of this. Would I necessarily need an H pipe and if so what size is best. Does it have to be the same time as the rest of the exhaust system. I have 12" glasspacks on it now and it sounds great. thanks for any advice.
    Sergio

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Open exhaust for 6.2L *DELETED*

Post deleted by SK-15

3. k20diesel

k20diesel Registered Member

Diesels do NOT need backpressure. The less backpressure the better. More power, better mpg, cooler temps. Negative pressure would be better yet, but impossible to achieve.

For the record, gassers do not need backpressure either. They will make more power without it if tuned properly. But for the average guy, its easier to tune with backpressure.

Besides being ungodly loud, open exhaust will cause no damage. Should run fine. Might also allow you to increase fuel delivery for more power still.

4. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

what about the H pipe is this necessary on the diesel.

5. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

So it is said that a balance pipe of some sort is helpful, especially if you are trying to make a bit more power. The minimum size should be the same size as your main exhaust pipes are now.

6. brkn4vr

brkn4vr Registered Member

I have a '84 6.5L and ran open exhaust for some time. It was great for for power and gas mileage, but the drawback was the noise. It was soooo loud inside the truck, I think it rattled at least two of my teeth loose. I now have two open glass packs (no plug). It is still loud, but a deeper, meaner sound. I love it.

-Be Strange....Be <font color=purple>UNIQUE</font color=purple>-

7. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I have straight through 12' glasspacks on my blazer right now and damn it sounds nice but i have heard it with open before and well i just love it even more becausee the slightest touch of the pedal and you get this deep rumble going on it is great. Noise dosen't rally bother me that much. I might put 4" tips on it as well just to give it even more deep sound.
    sergio