Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Open Headers....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Apr 25, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I was wondering...is it bad for your motor to drive with only open headers and no other exhaust for....say....100 miles? Their long tube headers. Will it damage the motor? Thanks.
    BTW- I know its gonna be hella loud cause ive heard our motors with open headers before.
    -Harrison

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hasnt damaged my motor. I drove it with open headers for nearly a year. gets real annoying but sounds cool. I had a ricer pull up beside me revin his motor. thought he was real cool till I blew his ear drums out.:D

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I've heard people say that if its cold outside, it can suck air in and chip a valve. I used to run open headers on my old 283, it was loud as all get out. The fumes can and will damage your brain :waytogo:

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

HAHA! We drove my brothers around for a while with open headers and did that to some ricers. But we put glasspacks on it soon so we didnt get a noise violation ticket.

I was curious because i think the north carolina/south carolina crew are making a wheeling trip next month....and some people from my dorm may go...and I need to put the headers on before then, an intake, new hub, and take the driveshaft to the shop to get it re tubed from damage last trip. Im only gonna have 2 weeks to do everything...and i have no money for mufflers right now. Plus...my ra is taking his pristine wrangler 4.0 on 33's...and hes always talking crap about chevys and think he can out wheel me. I want him to be deaf before the end of the day just following me.:haha: Hes on 4", 33's, stock wrangler axles and gears, open front and rear, and stock 4.0. Looks like its never been wheeling....and he wont get on it. He thinks he can outwheel me (trucks in my sig line). I bet he would faint if he even scratched it. Me....im gonna be aiming for body damage..:haha:
    -Harrison

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had to run open headers for a while. If you have to run them that way for a while go to a exhaust shop and get some turndowns that will be able to bolt onto your header thats what I did it was better with the turndowns than just open headers

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

yeah, at least get some kinda pipes to bolt on there.... If you drive 100 miles with open headers, you're gonna pass out, have carbon monoxide bonded with your red blood cells, have to go into an oxygen chamber at the hospital, and a cop is gonna pin a noise violation to your suffocated body :eek1: (That's the worst case scenario) ;)

7. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

If your putting a new intake and headers on you will prolly need to richen your carb. It'll be running leaner so dont forget about that.

8. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

it might not run right with out any significant back pressure. and back pressure is good for low end torque.

9. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

With everthing else you need to do to make the trip if the truck has exhaust on it already why not just wait until you can afford to do the headers correctly. I'm telling you from experience CO poisoning causes a headache like no other

10. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Did it in my Camaro for about a two weeks and I had no issues. Other than getting pulled over once..:(

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just to clarify, backpressure helps nothing and is unnecessary.

There is a huge difference between scavenging and backpressure.

12. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

We used to drive my friends Nova around with open headers. He was a big time drag racer and new motors. He used to stuff a rag in the pipe when he turned it off to keep the cold air from warping his valves.

I don't know if it did anything or not but couldn't hurt and it's easier on a lifted 4x4 than on a Nova.

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: Well, right now its open manifolds. I havent driven it very far at all with the open manifolds because they are so short...it cant be good for the motor. Im not running a top, and with the open manifolds...i cant smell exhaust unless im sitting at a red light.
    -Harrison

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I dont have a carb. Mines an 87 (hence 87brnrsd) so its tbi. But yes, i will turn the fuel pressure up accordingly. Thanks for the advice.:D
    -Harrison

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I just dont have the time or money to do it correctly before this trip. If i didnt have so many other things to do, and didnt have to pay for new hubs and driveshaft...then yes i would do it correctly. But i can drive it to the trail and wheel it with open headers....im s.o.l. with no driveshaft and no 4wd hubs.:crazy: And yes, I know about smelling to much co....ive had that headache bad before.:wink1:
    -Harrison

16. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

One more thing...just to clarify something a bit...i know its gonna be loud, and i know about the fumes. My only question was if it was gonna hurt the motor or not.....Regardless....thanks for all the replies guys. You all rock. :saweet:
    -Harrison

17. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would run turn downs off the collector so you don't coat the under body in black deposites.

Maybe I just run really rich :doah: :D

I was debating on whether or not to put in exhaust cut outs when I do headers. Just for the oportunity to open her up.

18. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Also don't forget fuel lines , light wires and brake lines run down the frame and the headers shoot right at them . Use turn downs to keep the heat off of them.

19. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Didnt even think about that...thanks man.:D
    -Harrison

20. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I dont think you'll hurt the valves regardless if its headers or manifolds. The surrounding area in the head (valve seat, and ports) will stay plenty hot for a while, and its not like its a door being open so the air can rush through it.

Bottom line: don't worry about it.