Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

open headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Sep 8, 2000.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

will it hurt to run open headers for about 25 miles? thats how far it is from my house to the exhaust shop, and its almost all freeway miles.

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Might hurt your ears!!! =) </font color=blue>

BLAZE IT UP!!!

3. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

i have been told it will burn up a set of valves if you drive with open headers for a long time whats along time i do not know but the local police may have somthing to say about it .

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have also been told a few time that if you run a set of 3" dual with free flowing mufflers on a stock 350 then you could burn the valves also.

But 25 miles shouldn't hurt anything but your ears and maybe attract a few police.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

just don't pass a police station. you won't hurt anything.

6. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

We always run open headers in our 1/4 mile cars without a problem. You should be alright.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I've ran uncorked headers on the way to the muffler shop 3 times with no problems....I didn't do highway miles though. It won't hurt a thing. It wouldn't be a bad idea to call the local police and tell them what you're going to do that way you'll be covered, even if you don't, an explaination should suffice. If you get an a$$hole and he wants to give you a ticket anyway, ask for a fix-it ticket, that way you can bring it to the station after the work has been done and they'll sign off on it and nothing more will be done about it. I think it's a good idea to ask for one any time you get pulled over for something you can fix right away. I ran dark widow tint for over 5 years and finally got pulled over for it, I asked for a fix-it ticket, drove home took it off, tokk it down to the cop shop where they signed off on it, then took it in 2 days later and had it put back on again. I figured if I went over 5 years without a ticket I could do it again....which I did !

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I drove a 100 miles round trip with just headers. That included traffic and highway driving. No problems at all, just a few alarms set off on parked vehicles.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

9. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status