Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Open or LSD?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Esteban86K5, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

How do I know if a 14bolt ff is open or LSD? I'm going to look at one tomorrow and I want an open diff so I can install a detriot later. Am I right about a LS not being able to hold or convert to a dtroit? Do I need an open diff for that? Any help would be great.
    Thanks

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

jack up 1 tire and see if it spins or locks up. Make sure the trans is in park or in gear(manual) If it spins, open carrier. The factory LSD has 3 pins holding it together. The detroit has 4. If you want to put in a detroit locker, you need the open carrier.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You need to open the cover up to make sure. If its open there will only be some gears in there on the sides, the top and the bottom. If it is LSD, it will a have a series of springs and pressure plates in there pushing out and the gears I talked about above. And yes you will need to get an open carrier unit.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-TCI 700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>