Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opened up spring clamps....big difference in flex (Bad for springs???)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I opeaned up the spring clamps that keep all the springs together and it made a huge difference in flex. I just bent them up in a U shape so the srpings will stay in place but when the axle droops the leafs can seperate. I was just curious if this is bad for them? I know you can hyper extend springs but just in general because at full droop only one leaf is holding the axle up. They are Superlift 4" springs if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help
    -Flexy

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i know a lot of people do it,but i think that after a while it will take some strength away from the springs.mine was like that when i bought it and i took a hammer and bent them back.i just dont like the way they flex way out and open up the spring pack so much.

3. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

i always use this saying when i'm doing a mod:

"i'd rather be stuck then broke and stuck"

the amount of flex gained isn't worth the breakage. the main leaf will eventually break at the spring plate. maybe you'll be lucky, thats just been my experience. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm with everybody else here...
    I don't like the idea of having the clamps opended up all the way because of the added stress it puts on the leaves.
    Do not do it (in the front) if you don't have crossover. You will kink the leaves for sure.

I don't mind loosning them up a bit so the springs can move a bit (a very little bit)...but don't make them a "U".