Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opening Day.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chalet2506, Aug 27, 2006.

1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dove season opens Friday, anybody got birds? I'll be hunting up around Wichita Falls on different places. I haven't seen or heard anything to lead me to believe that we're going to have any decent shooting.

2. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I'm headed up to Cold Water, Ks thursday with the g-pa-in-law. It will be my first time out, so hopefully we'll have some luck.

3. chalet2506

Even on a bad year, there's enough birds to make a decent shoot on opening day. If your hunting around some feed, you should do alright. It's generally hit or miss after that.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the reminder. I'v been so busy I forgot all about dove season. Usually good shooting around here. The dove feed in big thistle patches.
    you have to just plant yourself in the middle of a big patch first thing in the mornin and the dove fly right in.Usually get a couple of hours of good shooting.
    Grouse season also opens up here on saturday. Its a good day for a morning shoot for dove in the valleys. Then head up in the mountains and hunt grouse the rest of the day. Guess I better spend a little time on my reloading bench

5. chalet2506

Birds have been so scarce the last couple of years, I'm still shooting up shells I bought 3 years ago. However, I did get a SBH Bisley in 44 mag this past summer that I'm going to load some rounds for to get some plinkin time in after the dove quit flying.

6. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

We've got a ton of birds this year. One problem, though; 15 inches of rain in the last four weeks means anything that will hold water is holding water, so maybe it will start to dry up this week and concentrate the birds a little better. Thanks for reminding me about the season guys.
    Jimbo

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

We have to wait until almost mid-October here in the Florida panhandle. :mad: With my back problem last year I didn't get to do any kind of hunting at all, so ... you guessed it - I'm really hyped!! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!! :D

8. chalet2506

Haven't had any measurable rain at my house since May....til about a week ago. Middle of a 20 year drought, and I get rain the week before opening day of Dove Season. Go figure.

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm headin to the Rio Grande Valley next weekend to do some whitewing huntin with one of my friends. We go every year, and always get limits. It certainly helps that his grand dad is a farmer and has ~10k acres for us to run around on. It always dumps on us the entire week before the season opens but regardless we always get birds.

10. chalet2506

Sweet. My sister always leaves a few acres of wheat standing to hunt around. It's raining today, and forecast shows a cold front with cool temperatures and rain for this weekend. Maybe there'll be some mud to get my truck out in.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well........... have been to the doctor..... The prognosis is grimm............. He told me you have to put the lime in the coconut and shake it all up.... I have the first confirmed case of "Bird Flu" in the US. Its awful Ain't no way I can make it to work tomorrow.
    Dr's orders........................

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:haha: :haha: :haha: Maybe I'll get a wrist rocket and pick a couple off from the back deck...They're all over my backyard...

13. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Went out this morning at sunup and got a few as they were headed out to the hills.

Mmmmmm, dove spaghetti tonight!

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You bastige. I miss whitewing season, some years back my stepdad had several hundred acres in grapefruit over near McCook (NW of Mission) and there was never any question of getting limit. We used to take a grill with us and try to eat as many as we could during the day so we could shoot more.

Any kind of bird hunting up here is a whole production, no sitting on a tailgate and waiting for a couple hundred to fly over you. And I am definitely not sitting on the frozen ground for 8 hours under a fake goose to hope I get something or go home empty handed.

15. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

So how did everyone do? We got just over 400 birds. It rained Friday night, so Saturday morning was a little slow. The wife's g-pa said it was the most birds he's ever seen up there, and he's been in the same area for about 15 years. It was fun and I'm anxious to go again.

16. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got a few quail this weekend, but nothing like 400. I think at the end of the day I had 9 1/2(one was too close) You have to love a small game licences and 15 acres of private land :)

17. chalet2506

I killed a few, but it rained most of the time I was up there. 1st time to get my Chalet out since I started rebuilding it. About 300 miles on it this weekend with no major problem - if you don't count that little mesquite stump I hit running across the pasture that blew 2 tires.:doah:

18. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

For the first time ever it didnt rain on us before the hunt and that actually seemed to hurt us. Saturday was really slow, I got 9 out of a bag limit of 12 and my buddy got 6. His dad and the other 2 guys with us only got like 2-3 apiece. Sunday was much more productive, I limited (and then some to make up for the previous day...) and my home boy got 10 or 11. Again, his dad and the other guys only got like 4 or 5, I think it was just cause I was busting my ass and actually moving around and getting away from the truck. Plus I'm a prety damn good shot, if I dod say so myself.